If you want quality, Sony is the LAST place to go. They make crap and nothing but crap outside of their ES line. I've dealt with Sony's service department FAR too much to EVER give them a dime again. Almost everything I've ever bought from them has failed. The sound quality is crap and they only survive due to their name and superior marketing.

Do NOT be suckered into the Circuit City sales technique of convincing you higher rated power means a better receiver. With many of the major label electronics companies, they are actually spec'ing peak power, and not RMS. RMS is the average power output of the receiver which is significantly lower a number (equal to the integral of the power waveform over its period, divided by that period). Furthermore, those that do spec RMS WAY over quote their capability.

Kenwood makes a nice receiver or two in that price range. Denon, Onkyo and Marantz all have significantly better receivers in that price range as well. Unless you have a large home theater room (Cathedral large...) I doubt any of these would suffer from too little power for you.