I listened to a pile of speakers before making my first Axiom purchase. You need to do the same. I'd say listen to a dozen different speakers at all your local shops, and pick the one you like best. Ask them if they'll let you listen to them in your own home. Many will...others may make you purchase the speakers, and offer a liberal return policy. However you need to do it, get your favorites into your own home, and then order a pair of M22ti's. Give the two of them the Pepsi Challenge in your own living room.

I too was looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers in/around $500. I finally got it down to the Energy C-3 and brought a pair home. I then ordered a pair of M22ti's. The M22's were much clearer. Not as much bass, but with a sub that didn't matter. I returned the Energy's for a full refund, and kept my beloved Axioms.

Everyone has different tastes in sound. What I like you may hate. Go listen to as much as possible and widdle down your choices. But in the end try to give the M22's a listen. I think you'll be very surprised just how good they are.