OK. I want to get a good SACD/DVD-A disc player. What I'm on the fence about the most at the moment is whether to go all out and get a "top shelf" player - one with a good HDTV upscaler and digital video output, as Onkyo, Denon, and others make... or whether to not focus on the DVD (video) aspects much at all.

Part of me wants to get a great DVD upscaler; I bought the consumer-grade Toshiba upscaling DVD player, and it has been utterly unsatisfactory - the picture through the HDMI output looks worse than my Malata region-free DVD player with component outputs (and it doesn't upscale!).

At the same time, part of me thinks I should save my money when it comes to the DVD-video aspects - HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are on the horizon, and I imagine the good players for those systems will have strong HD upscalers for playing standard DVD vidoeo content. I can live with component non-upscaled for a year, right?

So... what do you all think? Is it worth getting a universal player, and pay some more for a good HD upscaler, or is it better to find a less pricy machine which just does a great job with DVD-Audio and SACD, and I can just leave upscaling alone for the time being?

Suggesting particular models or options would be most helpful!

--------

---- A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing... M60s, VP150, QS8s, EP350 Onkyo TX-SR702, Denon DVD-3910