I was going through a similar comparison between CD players -- actually between my CD and DVD players with the same CD. I was convinced that the DVD player sounded MUCH better (more "open", clearer vocals, better bass, yadda yadda) until Alan gave me the "match the SPL" lecture. Went back and marked the volume control with the right settings for the players and twiddled the volume at the same time I hit the source switch -- wouldn't you know it, nearly ALL the differences went away. In my case the difference was just over 2dB.

When I was A/B-ing between M2 and M60 I ran into the same thing (only the difference was more like 4dB) -- if I didn't match the levels exactly the louder speaker (M60) sounded all-round better. I would never have believed it.

I know you can't go back and repeat the tests, we're just trying to say "don't underestimate how much difference the level settings can make".

Anyways, don't lie awake at night wondering if you got the wrong speakers or anything, there are other good reviews of the Evo 30s on the net. Sounds like Wharfedale did a good job with these.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8