Thanks for the advice, John. Part of the reason I ordered two subs was the rumored stereo effect. The other is my strange room layout, an L-shaped custom entertainment unit, with TV centered in the corner, and the short side of the L opening up to another room. The area encompassed by surrounds will be about 22'x22', but the room opens to others on three of those sides. The long side of the L is the only solid wall in the encompassed area.

So it may be crazy, but I was planning to place a sub next to each M22 left/right on the countertop of the unit. I'm hoping I might make up some of the bass loss from the bad placement by having the 2nd sub. Floor placement in the room is probably not in the cards, unfortunately.

I guess I'll end up following your suggestion, but I really want to give the stereo thing a shot. So here's another way I thought I might try:

Set all speakers to "small" except "large" mains at receiver.
Set sub mode to "LFE only" at receiver -- meaning only LFE signal goes to sub preamp out.
Set receiver crossover to lowest setting, 80 Hz. All non-LFE bass below 80 Hz is now sent to the mains.
Connect the mains directly to the receiver as the already are.
Since the subs each have L/R RCA inputs, pipe the preamp L/R to each respective sub, and the preamp sub out to both subs (or just one, depending on results).
Set crossover on the subs to 60 Hz, the lowest setting.

I guess this isn't much different than using the speaker level connections to the left and right sub without the receiver knowing about them. I would still have the problem of blending in with the M22s at 60 Hz. The differences I see are:
* Now the M22s are never sent any LFE signal
* Depending on how the processor sends LFE to the left/right channels when no subwoofer is known to it, I might get a relative boost in this new setup from sending a full LFE signal to each sub. This might allow me to back off the output of each sub for good blending at 60 Hz, while still giving me an appropriately loud effect during movies.
* If any part of the LFE signal is above 60 Hz, it would be cutoff. Is this likely to happen?

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback.

P.S. Has anyone else tried a subwoofer at counter-height in a bookshelf unit with satisfactory results?