In reply to:

Do I need to make sure my next DVD player has DVD-A?

Depends on whether or not you have any interest in listening to multi-channel 24-bit 96KHz audio disks. I know some people that just don't have any interest in being in the middle of a recording studio and prefer the front stage effect of stereo. Up to you.

In reply to:

What will DVD-A mean to my 6.1 system of 60's,8's,150, and 175 in regards to sound quality (as opposed to listening to cd's with my system now)?

Music in DVD-A is fully multi-channel with each channel carrying a much richer 24/96 (versus 16/44 currently) signal. You can use DPLII and the like to simulate surround sound from CD's now but they aren't encoded with that in mind and don't sound right in any format other than stereo to me. Your current system would probably be very enjoyable for music even if you don't have the ideal speaker configuration for it.

The QS8's should do a fine job of filling in for a couple M60's in the back for most people. I doubt many would complain at all.

In reply to:

Is DVD-A video and sound?

It has room for extras just like regular DVD's so a studio could stick a movie video there if they so chose. However, the RIAA is sucktacular at adding value to their pathetic product so I don't expect a lot of studios to do this, certainly not at the rate of current CD production.

DVD-A is intended for Audio above all else. That's what the A stands for.

Regards,
Semi