Alan and Johnk: Thank you very much for your replys. I love the science behind most everything—and I’m discovering more and more of it each day in the world of audio. It’s like being in High school AP Chemistry all over again. Loving it!!

Now I want to take this discussion to a more personal application level. As has been seen on my other posts lately, I have a family room that is open to a kitchen. They are roughly 16X24X9 (kitchen adding another 16X20X9).

I’m seriously looking at the following three subs:
Axiom EP350 12 inch driver, 200 Watts, Freq Resp +/- 3db (Hz) 25 ($650)
HSU STF-3, 12 inch driver, 300 Watts, Bass extension +/- 2 dB: 25Hz ($600)
SVS PB12-ISD 12 inch driver, 320 Watts, 22 Hz ($599)

Price is all comparable; frequency is all comparable, unless 3 Hz is a big difference in the low end. I honestly wouldn’t know.

Since sitting in a room and listening to each one individually is not really an option, how can the numbers game be worked to make a logical comparison? Now some would say that asking Alan that would only give me a biased opinion, since his check comes from Axiom; however, I somewhat disagree. I’ve seen your posts, Alan, over the past month or so and haven’t felt that you directly push people toward Axiom. You state the facts of science and encourage personal preference take presidence in listening—whenever possible. So, Alan, any assistance with how a person should look at subs to make a decision would be well received.

Thanks.