In a recent thread....someone mentioned that 80's cd mixes, were the worst for source material. Well, that's a rather broad statement...but, it got me thinking.
To me, the 80's were all and all, a GOOD period for popular music in general.

I still like most 80's music, and actually miss it. The music was everywhere....movie soundtracks, (even all those 80's "B" movies) and just about everywhere you went..... (you almost didn't need to buy it).

THE MAIN THING I noticed back then, and ESPECIALLY NOW.....was not so much the mixes, or mastering of the music from back in those day's.....it was that AWFUL snare drum crash style that EVERY BAND, or GROUP...(no matter which music type) apparently thought HAD to be in EVERY 80's song.
You know, that.....1,2,3,4,...BAM...1,2,3,4,...BAM.

To me, it sounded like a garbage can lid being struck with a ball bat.....in a garage. THAT'S the one "mistake" I think was made back then...it's like that SNL comedy skit...."I need more cowbell"...only, I picture the producers saying..."you gotta have the snare...more snare!
I guess I feel the most sorry for the many drummers, who had to play that way on everything they did.
1,2,3,4,...BAM...1,2,3,4,...BAM.

Anyhow, that's my take on the 80's "sound".

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)