Jon,

A few general comments on electrostatics: Most are dipoles (they radiate out of phase information to the rear) and so are hugely placement-dependent if you wish to avoid all kinds of cancellation and reinforcement effects.

I heard a huge ML system (I think it was $60,000 or so) at a CES demo that was awful, with a very colored and unnatural center channel. I have heard a couple of stereo MLs that sounded very natural, given the dispersion limitations that plague all electrostatic designs. Sometimes the sweet spot is so critical you can barely move your head or you lose the imaging, the soundstage, and the high frequencies.

By the way, Magnaplanars are NOT electrostatic. They are a planar-magnetic design, also dipoles, and subject to similar room-placement issues more than dynamic forward-radiating speakers. I would not recommend you mix electrostatic or dipoles with Axioms.

This is not to deter you from experimenting with other speaker technologies. I love the idea of electrostatic and planar-magnetic speakers. The technology is fascinating, and electrostatics can be capable of superb uncolored midrange reproduction, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired in most cases.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)