Does anybody out there think that the direct sound of bookshelf speakers sounds better for surround than the quadpole sound of the axiom QS4 or 8's. I purchased both QS4 and M22ti and when I hooked them up for surround sound I had some dramatic differences. With the QS4's I was never really sure they were going until I would walk right up under them. I kept checking the sound levels with both ear and db meter to make sure I had them up loud enough. But they were anything but dramatic. I tried the M22ti's and I was like, ahhhh there we go. Ducking, dodging, and giggling at the cooless of surround. I realize that surround is supposed to be diffuse, but I keep reading about all these posts of people saying they duck and dodge with the QS4 and 8's. Is it just preference or what?

My room is fairly large with the surrounds placed about a couple feet behind the listening position and a little higher than the listening position.

The 22's do sound a bit too direct in some instances but I would rather hear them than not.

Comments appreciated.

ONKYO 601 receiver, digital hookups, M60's front, VP100 center, M22 or QS4 surround, VTF-3 MK2 Hsu research sub.