It is worse in the sense that you will get a wider range of opinions and more "love/hate" comments. On the other hand, it's much harder to go wrong when you're buying a receiver.

HK's seem to have a bit higher incidence of failure in the first few weeks (don't know why) but after that they seem to be pretty much bulletproof. I don't think you can go wrong with Denon, HK, Yamaha or Marantz.

HK's bass management is still more flexible than anything else on the market; the only oddity is that if you have full-range mains but no sub they won't let you route LF from center and surround to the mains.

I don't know which has the best remote, but the HK seems to be a bit counter-intuitive to me. Everyone here seems to be going for those aftermarket 33-in-1 remote / blender / microwave it slices it dices MX700 things anyways.

Don't sweat it. Pick the one that appeals to you the most, and get it from a reputable source in case you have any problems.

The mutant thing is gonna happen whenever you get into a "cult hobby" like audio, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8