Hey, all. Wondering if anybody has some input on a problem I have with my sub. I use the AX500a, which is the top Axiom sub from the previous product line. Rather than a cube, it's a tower (just a few inches shorter than the M40), with a backwards-firing woofer and 2 down-firing ports.

We've moved into a new place with a much bigger rec room, and a couple of problems have popped up. The first is that bass impact during movies has decreased significantly, and I wonder if it's because of the ports firing down into carpet as well as the larger room.

Secondly, I'd been noticing some buzzing from all speakers as I turned up the volume on the reciever. Initially thinking it was the receiver clipping, I discussed it with the AV shop and made adjustments as per their suggestions. To make a long story short, I cranked the receiver today, this time with the sub off, and movie soundtracks were crystal clear.

My first question is, assuming the buzzing is mechanical vibration due to the sub, is such vibrating potentially damaging to the other speakers?

Secondly, would changing to a different sub with front or back ports decrease this effect? Are the down-firing ports a cause?

Finally, any other suggestions as to how to adjust things, since replacing the sub isn't an option yet (unless I have a shockingly busy week at the office)? Position hasn't seemed to make much of a difference, and I'm pretty sure nothing is physically wrong with the sub, since everything is fine when it's on at low volumes for music.