I have M2s rather than M3s but I imagine they're pretty similar w.r.t. placement. You are going to get what seem like conflicting answers because there are a couple of different reasons for moving speakers away from the wall :

1. Rear port means you need some distance to "breathe". I have heard different numbers but they are all in the range of "a few inches". Eight inches should be more than enough.

2. No matter where the port is (if at all) bookshelf speakers often sound their best when they are out from the wall on stands. This is a function of a couple of things -- less bass reinforcement when further from the walls (speakers can sound boomy if too close) and the ability to cancel out some room resonances by having the right distance between the front of the speaker and back or side walls. This is where the 2-3 feet suggestions come from. Nothing to do with the rear port.

If you have to put the speakers close to the back wall just make sure they aren't also close to the side wall and floor or ceiling. Too many surfaces often makes for boomy sound.

The main point is that violating the "few inches from the wall" rule probably makes a big difference in sound, while the difference as you move 2-3 feet away from the wall is much less.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8