Thanks guys for your responses...

Semi On: Yes, I like very much the brass sound of the Chicago Symphony in the good ol' Solti era, as well as the Philly Symphony when they were with Eugene Ormandy -- those brasses that are simultaneously brilliant and heavy-duty. Also, in honor of the folks who are living in the north of the border, I am a big fan of Canadian Brass. I had a chance to go to their recital a couple of years ago; they are not only technically and musically superb, but so hilarious and entertaining on stage! A trait you rarely found in classical artists.

JohnK: It is very nice to know that one of the most knowledgeable, informed and eloquent participants on this board is also a classical music fan. While I entirely agree with you that there is no unique requirements for the accurate reproduction of classical music, I cannot 100% convince myself only with reviews/comments that do not mention classical music. This is simply because I realize that I myself have a much broader tolerance on sound quality when I listen to pop/rock genres. I know this also reflects my personal bias, but to me classical music tends to test the speakers in a most critical, unforgiving way, perhaps in part because its all-acoustic nature. I just feel much more assured when somebody says that the speakers sound great on classical music, too.

chesseroo: I too agree on your general points. My own assessment has been that there are definitely fewer recordings in classical music CDs (as compared with other music genres) that are "hot" or intentionally EQ'ed, as long as you select from reputable labeles. Again, this probably relates to the fact that classical music is mostly 100% acoustic, so the audience has a "golden standard" so to speak, for what they should regard as the "right" sound, which is of couse the sound you hear in live concerts where they usually use zero electronics.

Well, your posts make me even more anxious to listen to the Axioms...