In reply to:

1) Curved arm vs. straight arm. I've seen some mention of this on various threads but what difference does it make?

I think the straight arm is an advantage for scratching DJs, but I don't really know for a certainty. I don't think it makes much difference for the average listener.

In reply to:

2) As a starter TT, what difference does it really make if I get a DJ table?

Absolutely none. I went for the STR8-30 because it is direct drive, a known brand, inexpensive (relatively speaking), and does a good job. Like you, I wasn't looking for "audiophile" quality, just a solid entry level table.

In reply to:

3) Any thoughts on the list of TT's below?

Don't know a thing about any of the other tables. I've heard of them, but that's all.

In reply to:

4) I know the Stanton is the half the cost of the others, but am I really going to notice that big of a difference as a newbie?

Only in the wallet. Since, I'm not familiar with the others I can't say if you will notice any other difference.

In reply to:

5) Can someone explain the differences btw the MMF2.1 and GR-1?

Well I can't. I hope some other's can. There is a fairly small but knowledgeable bunch of guys who hang out at the Turntables/Vinyl - It Ain't Dead Yet forum at the Home Theater Spot. You might pose your questions there, and/or perform a search for each of the turntables you've listed. You might get more info there. I suspect the Stanton would not be highly respected there, but you might learn more about the other turntables you've mentioned.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton