Depends on your definition of Higher end. Some of the DVD players like the Toshiba 3950 and 3960 are suppose to be competitive with CD players in the $300-$500 range. Some DVD players arn't that swift when it comes to CD playback. I have no idea where the Pioneer fits in.

I have a Toshiba 3960 and Cambridge Audio D300SE that sold for $350 a year or two ago. The two are perty hard to tell apart. However I also had a one of those "not so swift" DVD players and the difference between that player and the D300 were notable although not on the magnitude of upgrading speakers or amps.

Now if your definition of high end is $1000-1500 on up the difference if very noticable. Generally besides better resolution, quieter background and larger soundstage they usually have a lusher more analog sound. Much of the digital harshness, so common in $300-$400 players is removed. Everthing just sound more natural. At least that was my experience when I moved from the Cambridge D300 to the Eastsound CD-E5. In my opinion on the magnitude of changing amps or speakers.

But don't expect a big jump if you go from the Pioneer to say a $300-$400 entry level audiophile CDP.

BW Maxx