chesseroo, I believe you are right! The problem is he is so obstinate on the subject of audio, I generally avoid the subject unless I really need his help. I've tried playing ignorant and just asking him to educate me on some aspect of his hobby, but he gets kind of impatient with "dumb" questions. He's a real live electrical engineer (as opposed to me, the aerospace engineer "rocket scientist" - haha), and he's not much of an educator. He overwhelmed me with spark chaser technobabble when I asked him about cables/interconnects. I'm intelligent, but I only had a few credit hours of EM theory - and that was 15 years ago. I don't use that stuff on a daily basis so the knowledge is mostly gone now. You know, it's really a very strange thing because he is quite the awesome engineer (specializes in microwave antenna design), but he has very strong subjective (non-scientific) opinions about his hobby. Oh well, I mostly just play tennis with him during warm weather and he is a good natured opponent. Like I said before, he really is a fairly nice person, just not on the subject of audio, so I don't want to be hard on him. I thought the story I related about the CD player was amusing (and somewhat relevant to the thread at hand) and thought you all would enjoy it.