Listen to John, and others, when they chime in-Johns got the speil down pat. However since I'm the one that said they were "foreward" I'll start off.

I'll start off with Hi, sunny_z, and welcome!

What "I" meant by "Foreward" as relates to the M50; I mean "where" in relation to the soundstage is the main vocalist; does it seem like the singer is way up-front, like you're on stage with him or her. Or, are you sitting in the back row of the theater, in a far Laid-back speaker.

There are certainly other ways of saying it, but that basically works for me.

The "Laid-back" speakers in the Axiom line are the M3, the M40 and the M50. The only two of these I'm familiar with are the M3s and the M50s. In my experence, the M3, though refered to as Laid-back, gives a presentation where the performer is(to me)at the plane of the TV. Kind of like sitting in the second or third row! The M50, on the other hand, to "me" seems to place the performer about a "foot" in front of the TV. Now it's like sitting in the 1st or 2nd row! Again, this is just my interpretation, out of many interpretations!!

So the M50 is more foreward, to me, than the M3s, but if the M50 is near the "front row" then I can't imagine it should be refered to as a laid-back speaker other than in relation to the other Axiom speakers of the M2 M22 M60 and M80 variety!

That only touches on my take on the "foreward" issue. There are others who will pop-in soon, if not "Now" with the rest of the story.

Again, Welcome to the forum!!
Rich.