First the disclaimer. I have no desire to denigrate anyone's beliefs, and I heartily support one's right to believe whatever one wants to believe.

I don't pretend to have an explanation for what you experienced Legairre, but I would like to make two points.

1. Auditory memory is very short; a matter of seconds, I believe. After that, you are remembering your IMPRESSION of what the speaker sounded like, and the longer the interval, the greater the potential that that impression will be less accurate. So , though your scenario may, or may not, allow for the "getting used to the sound" of the speaker argument, when you listened the next day, could it be possible you were remembering your impressions of how the two speakers compared the day before, as to opposed to how they actually did?

2. Expectations (biases) can play a huge part in our perceptions. Biases can be either on the conscious level or the unconscious level. In other words, it's entirely possible to be biased and not be aware of it. NO ONE can say if biases played a part in your 2nd day listening experience or not. BUT, can you rule out the possibility that they did?

I am in no way saying that the above IS what happened. I am merely raising the possibility that these factors could have played a part in your perceptions.

A couple of questions for all, if I may. By definition, the break in theory includes the fact that there is a change in the sound of the speaker. Correct? If I like the speakers enough to buy them on first listening, how do I know I'm gonna like them when they change? And according to the theory, they WILL change. Also, how come the change is always for the better? Wouldn't it be logical to have, at least, a few people say they didn't like the sound of the speakers AFTER they broke in? Yet EVERYBODY likes them better after break in. Hmmm?

One final point. With the exception of one aspect, the arguing over break in is really pretty silly. All of us, sooner or later, are going to put 20, or 50, or 100, or 200 hours on our speakers, no matter what. After that period of time all speakers are gonna sound like.......well.......what they sound like, whether they break in or not. It is my sincere hope that, after that period of time, everybody likes what they are hearing from their speakers.

Oh yes, the "one aspect" referred to above. I don't pretend to speak for all in the "speaker break in is a psycho-acoustic phenomenon" camp, but the one thing that bothers me about the " break in" camp, is when they present the theory as fact. The new, and inexperienced, believe it, and then spread it, and it gains unwarranted credibility as fact, just like an internet hoax. I have no quarrel with those who present it as a theory in which they firmly believe, and mention that many don't.

And, I promise that when there is conclusive scientific evidence that break in DOES occur, I will happily change my tune.

Peace to all, and no offense meant to anyone.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton