Weird! I have the digital meter but I must be doing something wrong. When I calibrate my speakers using the pink noise from either my receiver, or Avia or DVE, the meter goes to one number and stays there. It doesn't move between numbers at all.

It's been awhile, but when using the 1 Hz increment tones to measure the frequency response of my system, when using a very low tone or two, it seems to me I remember the changing # phenomenon. But, for whatever reason, for me, it is easy to watch the meter read 79, then 80, then 81, then 80, then 79 then 80, then 81, and realize that 80 is the average #.

With the analog meter (I have one of those also), I still have to average the reading from a moving needle ("OK the needle is swinging from there to there, so the middle of that is right about THERE"), and then translate the reading from analog to digital ("OK the average is right about on that line, and I'm on the 80 scale so that makes that reading 83"). Of course, the translation only takes a fraction of a second, but it still takes longer, and is more difficult, albeit only slightly, for me, than using the digital.

So, whether the sound pressure is static or fluctuating, for me, the digital readout is always a bit easier to read, than the needle. I'm confused. (no cracks!)

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton