Interesting! I have my HTM remote set up so complicated that I, too, cringe at the thought of anybody else trying to use it. But the fault is mine, not the remotes. Fortunately, I don't have anyone else using it . If someone else wants to use my equipment, HEY, get your own remote. (it's a "guy" thing)

What makes it complicated is the many macros I have set up. In addition to the obvious "watch TV," "watch a movie," "listen to music" macros (keep in mind I have 3 DVD/CD players, and have macros set up for each activity on each player), I have macros that allow me to "switch" activities. For example, If I'm watching TV, and the football game ends, and I want to listen to some music, I just push one button and the macro (not in this exact order) lowers the TV volume, and turns the TV off; turns off my cable box, turns on my receiver and CD player, sets the receiver to the correct input, and opens the CD player's tray.

I have macros that will switch from the TV to each DVD/CD player for either movies or music. I also have a macro to switch from each of those activities back to TV if I wish. I have macros which allow me to switch between players if I wish, each with the push of one button. Complicated? Yes! And, I would understand anyone who didn't want that much complication, particularly if they must (gasp!) share the remote with others. Versatile? You betcha.

I do apologize for HTMing a Harmony thread. As I said before, the Harmony is an excellent remote with many satisfied owners. I only wanted to make the point that you can make the HTM as complicated, or as simple, as you wish. That's why I prefer it.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton