In reply to:

and it always pisses me off when they make comparisions to toby keith being the 'rebel' of modern country music, much like johnny cash and willie nelson were in their time..

Everyone knows I'm a punk guy (Bren says, while listening to Meat Loaf)

But I do appreciate other types of music, old country being one of them - I grew up on the stuff... mom liked George, Tammy, Dolly and the love song stuff, dad liked Johnny, Waylon, Willy, Kris and the gritty stuff.

Now there's "nu country" that started with about Randy Travis and rolled quickly downhill from there. I'm not trying to pee on anyone's choice of music, but country, hip-hop and power-pop are probably the three genres easiest to fake it in (ever hear an NFL player put out a single? It's always twangy country-rock or rap, and every new 16-22 year old artist is fauxhawk-laden power-pop). So we end up with, as my mom refers to it "a whole bunch of kids being popped out of the shoot with a guitar and a Stetson" (I come by my sarcasm honestly!)

Then there's Toby Keith, no cred whatsoever and makes his living singing songs that any reasonable person should be ashamed to be listening to. Honestly, I haven't heard lyrics this racist since Skrewdriver's White Power album.

Compare for yourself:

Toby Keith "Courtesy Of The Red White And Blue"
Justice will be served
And the battle will rage
This big dog will fight when you rattle his cage
You'll be sorry you that you messed with the US of A
Cuz we'll put a boot in your ass
It's the American way

Skrewdriver - "White Rider"
Your flags are unfolded, salute them with love
To fight for your race is a gift from above
Some fools will oppose you, true men will stay loyal
But the victory shall be ours for the blood and the soil

You feel love for your people, disdain for the fools
The enemy's led by the zionist's tools
You fight for your race which shall be proud and free
And the only reward that you crave is victory

One "patriotic country artist" from the US... one "patriotic boot-boy/oi!/white supremacy band from the UK". Line's kinda blurry ain't it?

Bren R.