Ooooh tay.. First off, I never use a store bought snake, unless its a long run, and thru some type of conduit or such.. They just aren't really made for pokin' short wire runs inside dry wall.. I use a length of 12 guage solid copper wire, just like you use for running your electrical..
This stuff is great, as it can be bent this way and that, and cut to whatever length you may need to jump from one hole to the next..
I bend the tip back over on itself, (about 1/4 inch) to prevent it from hanging up on insulation or what have you inside the walls..
Give the wire a slight bend over its entire length, and when you feed it into the hole, you can keep it between the insulation batts and inside surface of the wall you are working on..
Three to 6 foot runs are a piece of cake.. Longer ones take practice, but it's not rocket science..
I cut a hole approx 2" by 4" on the feeding end.. And somewhat smaller on the recieving end.. Just enough to stick a couple fingers thru, and feel for the wire..
Here's a little trick.. You can 'feel' the insulation moving and/or shaking with your fingers, if you lightly place them on the paper or plastic batting.. This will help you direct the end of the wire into your waiting grasp..
And, with practice, you will find the holes you make getting smaller and smaller.. Less patch work later..
To work horizontally across a wall requires passing thru the wall studs.. Two optoins: Small hole across the area of the stud, cut a knotch in the exposed wood, and then lay the wire across it.. Cover the knotch with small piece of plastic or metal, and patch over it..
Or, a slightly larger hole, and drill a hole thru the stud.. Not that difficult with a long sharp drill bit.. You just drill in at the best angle you can from EACH side of the stud.. The hole thru is completed where the two drilled holes meet.. Use a half inch bit or so, as the holes never seems to meet up in the exact same spot..
Remember, there are also fire brakes running horizontally between the vertical wall studs.. If and when you incounter those, same techniques apply..
It is possible to make some very long runs between holes in the wall.. But, you may well find that a couple short runs, even when there are no studs in the way, may indeed save you much time and heartburn..
If this helps, I may be able to give ya some advise on going between floors.. Again, not impossible, but it's funny how this simple stuff can suck yer weekend dry ! But hey, it's kind of relaxing, in a sick sort a way ??

LFE ! The rest is just details..