I have a 65" Mits; You know, ancient and tested rear projection CRT technology and all-no surprizes here!!

It has a fabulous picture and will probably last for years and years. I can't say one bad thing about it....

except....

I had heard about "burn-in" with RPCRT, so I was ready to be carefull.

I had absolutely no idea of just How Carefull you have to be! Within less than three months of(near continuous)use, there is already indications of "Very Light" burn-in.

RPCRT is without question the most mature technology availabe and the PQ can't be beat.(unless something happened in the last couple of months to change things significantly) And of the major manufacturers; Mitsubishi and Hitachi seem to have the highest reputations within the greatest number of forums I've visited. And "Sears" is the vendor most respected!

Just watch out for those "Black Bars"!!!
Rich.

OOPS! My Wife; Bless Her! Reminded me of something that escaped me: That we took delivery of our new TV on Valentines Day!(How could I forget?) That's nearly four months-of very nearly continuous use! We have a four year old Grand Daughter who is having problems sleeping. so we got in the habit(a bad Habit!)of leaving the TV on all night so if she wakes up and gets up she won't feel so alone and will usually fall back asleep, in the living room, without waking up G'Ma or G'Pa!

I normally turn down the contrast and brightness when bedtime arives so the CRTs aren't smacking the phosphors quite so violently, and also read on at least two ocassions that turning the set on and off is more damaging than leaving the set "on" and turning down the brightness and contrast. for the short periods that the set may not be being watched.(An hour or two, or three)

So, on average, maybe the time on out TV is closer to an average of, I dunno, eight to ten months, maybe a year? In that case, the amount of Burn-in may not be all that severe. At any rate, burn-in is something to be aware of and taken into consideration.
Rich.

Last edited by F107plus5; 06/06/05 12:03 AM.