Got a question for those versed in building speakers.

I've been building speakers since I was a kid. I've built many subwoofer enclosures (mostly for cars). Since I can't afford to buy a new sub anytime soon I was thinkin about RE-buidling my current HT subwoofer enclosure. It's pretty ghetto right now but thats mostly because I had hoped to buy something to replace it by now. Well its going to have to last a bit longer but in the meantime I want to get the most out of it as I can.

I have two average quality 10 inch Pioneer car subs in my HT right now, but I was thinkin about taking my two 10 inch Kicker Solo-Baric subs out of my car and using them instead (moving the Pioneer's to the car) because they far better drivers.

Now my questions comes from this... The Solo-Baric's manual is very clear about not using a vented or large box for them. Now in a car the cabin gain allows for this, but in a big HT room I need a bigger enclosure and I'd like to go vented to pick the lower region's response up. I thought I learned years ago that speakers really weren't only good in say, a sealed enclorure, or only a vented one. I just don't want to risk ruining these speakers if I put them in a large vented box.

What do you all think?