First of all, you're a darn good brother. I think my brother got me a law dictionary when I graduated law school.

Second, since you're working with a limited budget and will likely need to cut corners on your system to meet that budget, may I first suggest you save a bit of money by going with the M3's rather than the M22's.

I own both, and they're both superb speakers. I do use the M22's in my main system, but I would not hesitate to substitute the M3's if need be. The M3's lack a bit of the clarity and transparency of the M22's, but do have better bass. The M3's are just great for the price.

For the receiver, you might want to look at a refurbished Denon from ecost, or maybe a receiver like the Harman Kardon 235 (check H/K's e-bay site for refurbs). You should be able to get a good receiver for around $300-$400. Maybe the Pioneer 1014 that gets good reviews.

The usually suggested cheap sub is the Dayton sub from parts express, which usually runs about $100. Better subs a bit up in price are the Hsu STF-2 and SVS PB10.

I'm not sure what to suggest for the DVD/CD player as I'm not quite sure what you are looking for.

Wires, stay away from Monster. Go with Radio Shack, Parts Express, Acoustic Research, etc.

Good luck.