Brady
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Your talent is evident in the samples of your work that you posted. Unfortunately for our industry technology and poor economy as well as a general lack of appreciation for really good shooters is hurting all photographers. Large digital studios are opening up all over the place. They are like the Wal-Marts of the photo industry and they are hurting the small business guys. I note in your bio you are in Texas. Are you near Houston? I know there are some big studios there that use freelancers? I'm sure I don't have to tell you that but your post struck a chord with me. I am the Chief Product Photographer for Macy's Central. Our studio is based in Atlanta. Unfortunately we are feeling the pinch as well. This year I had my lead art director leave and one of my photographers also. I talked to my studio manager about the possible canadates to replace them and I was informed that we wouldn't be. Upper management informed her that we were lucky we lost the two of them because we would have been put in the situation of haveing to let two people go had those two not left. I was quite relieved that I did not have to make such a decision. Things in this city have changed so much in the last two years. My studio currently staffs 3 photographers. So before the other one left we were 4 and I was using from one to three freelancers on a regular basis. Now we three handle everything. I get calls all the time from photographers in this city and the stories are much the same. One of the biggest studios in the city just closed down.They used primarily freelance photographers as what I refer to as day shooters. As a matter of fact this past week all the equipment, props and furnishings we're auctioned off. Well I know this is not the kind of thing you need to hear right now. I try to remain optimistic. The business has gone through a few periods like this before. Studios have closed and in time others open to take their place. Keep the faith. You are very talented and with work like that you will find something. I will keep my ears open here. Through my years in the business and my responsibility for hiring staff and freelance personell I have quite a network. If I hear anything I will let you know. Hang in there.
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon