Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 854 of 917 1 2 852 853 854 855 856 916 917
Re: So what are ya listening to tonight?
SirQuack #411169 03/28/15 07:37 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I love the whole album, but here, have this one:

Marina and the Diamonds - "Blue"

I'd still marry her if she begged me.

CV #411284 04/04/15 08:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Look! Someone re-messed with Texas!

Re-mastered ZZ Top, ca. '72-80 (pre-MTV when ZZ goes all discoey, like).

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
pmbuko #411295 04/05/15 03:57 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Tracker, the new Knopfler album, is great, like a hug from your favorite uncle when you were a kid.

pmbuko -- Did you get the "Double-Beryl" (deluxe/extended) edition? Favorite Tracks? I'm especially digging Lights of Taormina, Silver Eagle, My Heart Has Never Changed, Terminal of Tribute To.

Favorite Knopfler albums? I find it hard to beat Sailing to Philadelphia.

I just rediscoverd Ragpicker's Dream yesterday. It never got burned into my computer, so isn't on regular rotation.

cheers --

DrStrangeQuark #411359 04/10/15 08:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Here's how to save $80.00 U.S.:

Don't purchase the new Todd Rundgren, the new Scott Wieland, new Public Service Broadcasting, latest Against Me, or the new Mark Knopfler. There, now you have $80 to use elsewhere.

Alright, if you insist, reasons:

There are, like, 40 other Todd records that are waaay better (OK, so Bob gets a bit hyperbolic now and again---there aren't 40), and better in every way, from conception through recording quality. And Scotty! Velvet Revolver proved to everyone just how much of what makes STP STP IS Scott! This record has less of either incarnation of The King of Rock (Rehab).

Public Service Broadcasting's first effort, "Inform, Educate, Entertain" actually managed all three. This sophomore release forgot the third part, entirely. Bill: "What the hell was THAT? It sounded so depressing I had to close the office door." It was difficult to allow it to play through. I did, but without gain of any sort.

So many here were going on about the new Knopfler, that I got it when I was at the record store. (National Record Store Day is next week! I wonder if anyone has pre-scheduled Nation Death of Record Stores Day, yet?) I bought the extended version. The recording is very good, and it's Mark Knoepler, alright, but when it gets filed away along with Dire Straits, I already know I'm not going to be going for this one often. It's a good album, but, for me, not at all as satisfying as, say, Petty's latest effort. That stayed stuck in my changer for longer time than the average new addition. This has a lot of "navel gazing" going on (I think it's 74 minutes, en toto (too!). If I have to explain that, then I'm too old and you're too young.

In spite of this disappointment, I will continue to look into the recordings people here rave about and consider buying them. You've been wrong before and you have been correct, sirs! I have never bought a suggested disc from here and thought it was crap. They never are. Some are just not my cup of crap, errr, tea.

Best for last:

A friend from Texas (I commanded him to buy Axioms and a new amp/pre, so he did), thought I might like Against Me's, "Transgender Dysphoria Blues." The days are long gone when one can buy a record because of its cover and it turns out to be "Disraeli Gears." This cover is a B & W photo of a cube of butchered meat topped with a human breast (hidden by the tear-away packaging). OK! Title, image! Ya got me! Now keep me.

Sorry, kids, no go. Punk, Power Punk, Pop Punk, Power Pop Punk, whatever. There are too many really good American Bands who do that a lot better (All American Rejects, All Time Low, Four Year Strong, et al). And some of those guys have been at it, for 20 years now, so they've gotten better in lots of ways, especially the writing, and recording. I do have to say that the lyrics are so good, that I can't print any of them here, especially the title track. If you MUST have Tranny Rock, then, at least for now, stick with Jayne County and Hedwig. Oh, and 30 Seconds from Mars. Wait, isn't Ziggy Azalea really a boy?

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #411360 04/11/15 01:23 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Wow, it's already going to be National Record Store Day again? My life is flying by.

SirQuack #411367 04/11/15 08:07 PM
aficionado
aficionado
You guys should check out a new movie call Song of the sea.
Got it for my kids last night, It's an Irish folk tale released on {G kids, Universal}Blue ray etc. The whole movie keeps playing a folksong most will know of or heard before.
It totally rocked our house,7.2 until a few hours past kids bed time.

BobKay #411370 04/11/15 11:44 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: BobKay
Here's how to save $80.00 U.S.:
Don't purchase the new Todd Rundgren, the new Scott Wieland, new Public Service Broadcasting, latest Against Me, or the new Mark Knopfler. There, now you have $80 to use elsewhere.
laugh Funny ...

brendo #411400 04/13/15 03:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: brendo
You guys should check out a new movie call Song of the sea.
Got it for my kids last night, It's an Irish folk tale released on {G kids, Universal}Blue ray etc. The whole movie keeps playing a folksong most will know of or heard before.
It totally rocked our house,7.2 until a few hours past kids bed time.

I got that movie last week. Really like it and it's predecessor The Book of Kells.

CatBrat #411410 04/14/15 02:46 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Listening to the new cd by Steven Wilson "Hand Cannot Erase." This is a fabulous album. Looking forward to the tour this summer.

DrStrangeQuark #411424 04/15/15 01:39 PM
Originally Posted By: DrStrangeQuark

pmbuko -- Did you get the "Double-Beryl" (deluxe/extended) edition? Favorite Tracks? I'm especially digging Lights of Taormina, Silver Eagle, My Heart Has Never Changed, Terminal of Tribute To.

Favorite Knopfler albums? I find it hard to beat Sailing to Philadelphia.

I just rediscoverd Ragpicker's Dream yesterday. It never got burned into my computer, so isn't on regular rotation.

cheers --

I buy 99% of my music digitally now. I do have the deluxe version of Tracker. I've yet to sit down and give it a proper listen on my Axioms, but I already like "Laughs and Jokes and Drinks and Smoke" and :Mighty Man".

As for a favorite Knopfler album? I'd have to say Ragpicker's Dream. "Quality Shoe" is one of my favorites. smile

Page 854 of 917 1 2 852 853 854 855 856 916 917

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters