Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
oppo dvd player and tv
#108334 08/23/05 12:13 AM
local
OP Offline
local
i just ordered the oppo dvp player.....any suggestions to whats the best matched tv to along with this player.......i am looking for 60 inches tv preferrable dlp tech...but open to suggestions
thanks

Re: oppo dvd player and tv
#108335 08/23/05 01:31 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm using the Oppo with a 43" Samsung DLP. Haven't had any problems at all. Just try to get an HDTV that has one of the common native resolutions, preferably 1080i, 720p, or the new (and expensive) 1080p.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#108336 08/27/05 06:22 PM
local
OP Offline
local
what about the "latest" mits 1080ps.......any comments....somehow i don't like samsung!!!!!!! no scientific reasons.

#108337 08/27/05 09:39 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
i see alot of of other people on another forum, have it hooked up to the vizio 50' plasma from costco. they say it runs real nice with it. i bought the oppo cause of it. but wont have the plasma or player hooked up for another 2 weeks (damn new house construction).

#108338 09/20/05 11:05 PM
veteran
veteran
Just thought I would revive this thread to get other member's views on the Oppo DVD player. As we all know it received VERY high marks from this benchmark as well as many other places. Simply google for Oppo and you will find several reviews.

I've had my player for a week and my current impression is good, but not great. My old DVD player is a Philips DVP-642 which is quite cheap and a great value but since I had an HDTV why not go for the Oppo. In comparisons, I think there minor differences but nothing drastic. For example, the sound quality between Bose and Axiom are HUGE, whereas the differences with my players is much less subtle. For now, I'm probably gonna stay with the Oppo since a friend wants to buy my Philips and also due to some other minor features lacking with the 642. For anyone that needs to save up for the Oppo, I would recommend a pass, but if you have $200 burning a hole in your wallet and you want the best picture possible then go for it. Of course if you have $600-1000 then go for the highly regarded Denon DVD players

I'll be honest, I was quite letdown when once I got everything setup (Oppo DVI -> Sony HDMI link) since there wasn't a huge difference in picture quality. Fortunately, I had 2 copies of Star Wars:AoTC and was able to switch back and forth quickly, but really had to look for differences. I think lines are somewhat smoother, obviously due to the Fourdja anti-aliasing, and foreground objects are slightly more focused. Picture grain is also slightly removed, but again you really have to look for it. Also with the different outputs of 480p, 720p, and 1080i to ME it looks roughly the same (and I DO NOT want to get into a flame war regarding the merits or lack of upconversion, blah, blah, blah). But then again, I haven't really sat down and tried to find the subtle variations between the above mentioned resolutions.

I've been meaning to PM Ajax to get his impressions since everyone knows him and respects his opinions. So Jack what say you with the Oppo...first impressions, differences, raves or skip it?

Anyone else that has this player or seen it, please post your thoughts, perceptions, opinions as well.

#108339 09/20/05 11:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I've been meaning to PM Ajax to get his impressions since everyone knows him and respects his opinions.

Flattering, but inaccurate, I fear. There are any number of members here who would disagree with you, I'm sure.

In reply to:

So Jack what say you with the Oppo...first impressions, differences, raves or skip it?

OY! If for no other reason, I would recommend the Oppo on price alone. It's a heck of a good player for 200 bucks, and the company has been amazingly responsive to complaints and suggestions from owners, issuing firmware updates as quickly as possible. They have been Axiom-like with their customer service as well, responding to email questions promptly, replacing DVI cords when the wrong one was mistakenly ordered, etc.

I think the picture is at least as good as, maybe even a little better than, my Denon 2910. But, the 2910 costs 3 times a much (2 times as much, if you get a refurbed 2910). That means the Oppo is running in pretty fast company. If you do not have a display with a DVI or HDMI input, do NOT get an Oppo. It's stellar video performance is found only on the DVI output. If you can only utilize the component, S-Video, or composite outputs, you'll do better with another player

I'm not crazy about the looks, and the display,of the Oppo. From my seat, I find it difficult to read the display, while I can easily make out the display on my Denon 2910.

The Oppo's tray takes a little getting used to. It is very flexible and your first impression is that it's junky. But, once used to it, you realize it's pretty strong, and would recover from a sharp blow, where a standard tray might, very well, break or crack. Some have complained that when the tray is fully extended, it doesn't completely reveal the round bed for the disc. You have to tuck the disc into the slot about an inch and then drop it into the bed. Personally, I have absolutely no problem with that at all. Once mastered, doing this is, to me, a breeze.

If you have a DVD player with which you are content, I wouldn't feel the need to run out and get an Oppo. But, If you're in the market, for whatever reason, for a good player, you could do a lot worse than the Oppo, while spending a lot more money.

Jack

#108340 09/21/05 12:08 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
blah blah blah.... Who listens to this old windbag, anyway?

DISCLAIMER: Jack has a sense of humor and knows when I'm pulling his arthritic leg.

#108341 09/21/05 12:15 AM
axiomite
axiomite

Jack

#108342 09/21/05 02:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
P.S. On this forum, I consider it an HONOR to have my arthritic leg pulled.

Jack

#108343 09/21/05 05:23 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

On this forum, I consider it an HONOR to have my arthritic leg pulled.

The only way you know it's still got feeling!

Bren R.

#108344 09/21/05 05:41 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Good point!!!!

Jack

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic