Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: More artifact sightings..
#109324 09/01/05 02:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ah yeah, Grandma doing laundry! She used to use only water from the rain barrel unless it were an emergency-like no rain. And yup, the long poles were an absolute requirement!

I think I mentioned, but my Aunt had a farm and we used to visit quite often for months at a time in the summer when I was a wee little guy(I used to sleep on the floor in the back seat of the car going down, my little brother got the rear seat deck cause he was just a little smaller than I and if he fell off would do the lesser damage)but my aunt asked me one morning which chicken I thought was the best, I answered, and still feel guilty for causing the early demise of that poor little foul. When the ax, the stump and that chicken neck got together at the same time, it was the darndest thing I ever saw. I thought it was chasing me even if it could no longer see. It ran in my direction for just an instant, and I ran in the other just as fast as I could and never picked out another chicken dinnerever!

Speaking of coal shutes, yup, we had one. We only had a coal furnace for a few years after I was born, so I thankfully don't have any unpleasant memories-other than hearing one of the neighbors telling my Mom that the new gas furnace, while requiring no trips to the bunker in the middle of the night; may well be the end of the entire neighborhood when the gas furnace, new technology that it was, blows up some cold winters night. It, thankfully, never did.

But, oh yeah......the stars you could see from that farm in the 40s

Rich.

#109325 09/01/05 02:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey bray! Actually were just kids too......I'm not even 61 yet!

Well......not for another two weeks yet, that is!

#109326 09/01/05 03:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Heh Heh. The coal chute reminds me of the coal burning furnace that had the habit of going out at the worst times. And that reminds me of the movie "A Christmas Story" where the father (played by Darren McGavin) could be heard in the basement enthusiastically cursing the coal burning furnace. I have vivid memories of my father, a very gentlemanly man who could curse a blue streak, doing the very same thing.

In fact, that movie has a ton of things that echo my childhood.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#109327 09/01/05 09:42 AM
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

In fact, that movie has a ton of things that echo my childhood

Does that mean you almost shot your eye out with a Red Ryder or that you stuck your tongue to a metal pole in the winter?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#109328 09/01/05 10:25 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't know how close I came to shooting my eye out with the Red Ryder BB gun I inherited from my older brother, but I have distinctly painful, memories of my lower lip sticking to the metal railing of a bridge over the creek near my home. I just ripped that sucker right off that railing................and regretted it for days!

Jack

#109329 09/01/05 10:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL, Jack your avatar fit's you to a 'T' and 'A Christmas Story' what a classic!

Rick
Our Room

smile
#109330 09/01/05 12:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL! Old guy; old sound system!

Jack

#109331 09/01/05 01:37 PM
In reply to:

old sound system!

Naaahhh... I'll bet vinyl on that thing sounds better than CDs, with their cold, sterile....oh, never mind. I'm just gonna get myself in trouble and take things further OT....!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#109332 09/01/05 07:53 PM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
Oh man, my BB gun ! My dad gave me a 'used' Red Ryder for my 11 birthday.. Prob got it from a friend of his, who's own kid had shot himself in the eye !?! Haaaa
Never shot myself, but nailed my sister, my brother, their friends, my friends, and countless neighborhood dogs and cats ! We even had small scale wars, with every kind of bb gun you can imagine.. Handing out 'ribbons' made of painted up clothes pins for those that didn't duck fast enough ! hahah.. Remember, we were all military brats by then.. With tons of surplus gear.. Sweeeeet.. We even had our own medic..
O'side was different back then.. No one would give two looks to a bunch of kids walking down the sreet loaded to the teeth with bb guns, back packs, canteens, flags, etc..
That movie is one of my ALL TIME fav's.. And yes, I still have my Red Ryder.. It's hanging on the wall, in the big room, just off the home theater room.. I love seeing the looks on the faces of folks our age when they come over for a visit the 1st time.. Talk bout a conversation starter..
Oh, and yeah, I was one of those that learns by doin.. Like sticking MY tounge to the icetray ? Gotta luv it.. My sister had to pour water over it to get me unstuck.. (She was 2 yrs older, so she knew bout those kinda things).. Funny, now that I think about it, she managed to pour the whole pitcher on my head ? Hmmmmmmm.. I think it's time to pay a little visit to my dear sweet sis...

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#109333 09/01/05 10:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Phooie!!.......

.....I no longer have either my Red Ryder, OR my Daisy Eagle(With real 2X Scope) They were both at my parents house in the garage.....and then they weren't.....RATS

Or my Crossman B-B pistol that I shot the lamp above the TV during "Shock Theater" on TV, one Saterday night!

Yup, times were different! I used to take my Red Ryder into the local grocery store and stand it up on the counter like I saw the "Rifleman" do in the saloon in his TV show, and nothing was ever said about it, it was perfectly "normal"

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,015 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup