Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Quick quesyion regarding cables
#110324 09/12/05 09:58 PM
shareholder in the making
Interesting. Thanks for the info! Now I'm going to have to dig up that explanation of XLR cables again...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#110325 09/12/05 10:22 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
XLR - 3 pin connector, balanced audio.
TRS - Same idea, but on a Tip Ring Sleeve (usually 1/4" phono - ie: big headphone) connector.

Bren R.

#110326 09/12/05 10:39 PM
OK, the second I didn't know. I'm just having a hard time remembering how XLRs work; ie why there's those 3 conductors. I'll look it up myself.

#110327 09/12/05 10:45 PM
Blue Jeans Cables has a nice explanation of it. Check out the So... Why Does it Matter? section.

#110328 09/13/05 05:35 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Seems a lot more confusing than it has to be... and BJC seem to be using it to push twisted pair cables (more on that in a moment) they've combined two explanations into one, dare I say erroneously.

BALANCED LINES
One conductor carries the signal (Pin #2 is standard), one carries the signal 180 degrees out of phase (Pin #3)... noise hits both conductors equally (or equally enough) and when Pin #3 is inverted 180 degrees again at the destination and mixed with Pin #2 - the noise is also inverted, and cancels itself out. Easy and ingenious.

Balanced lines do NOT have to be made from twisted pairs.

TWISTED PAIRS
All you MCSEs (I know Microsoft says it's Microsoft Certified System Engineer - we all know it's Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert!) stand up now. You have nightmares about CAT5 cable - now how do all those twisted pairs carry a cleaner signal than station wire (non-twisted)?

Easy... by twisting the wires, you keep them close to one another, sharing - as close is as physically possible in the real world - the same space. Interference affects both signals in nearly identical ways, instead of how a balanced connection uses an extra wire to cancel noise, TP uses voltage differential between the conductors as the signal. Say your signal is a 100% duty cycle of 10mV (10mV on the hot, 0mV on the neutral), and the noise is a constant +1mV... your conductors would be carrying 11mV (10mV + the 1mV interference) on the hot, 1mV (0+1) on the neutral... leaving you with a difference of 10mV - exactly the signal you want.

Bren R.

#110329 09/13/05 05:42 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Ken - TRS is just another connector at the end... much like coaxial cable can terminate in an RCA, an F-connector or a BNC, balanced audio can end in an XLR or a TRS.

Anyone that has to go XLR to TRS, this is the Rane Corporations' standard:
XLR (OUT)
1 - no connection
2 - RED conductor to TIP
3 - BLACK conductor to RING
Drain wire of course attaches to SLEEVE of TRS

and going the other way all connections are the same except drain wire goes to PIN 1 of XLR and SLEEVE has no connection (ie: Rane says to "drain" to receiving electronics)

Bren R.

#110330 09/13/05 02:10 PM
OK, cool. That explains why I was able to use both types of ends all the time when I was (extremely) inexpertly doing the sound for my jazz choir in college.

#110331 09/13/05 02:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It should also be noted that the term TWISTED PAIRS is one of the more common marketing mumbo jumbo lines in use today. To be honest, it gets embarrassing at times being in the cable racket and reading how some promote twisted designs when a true twisted design isn't even present. Now granted there is a benefit to the design, that's not my problem. It's when people use it in marketing stuff and half of the things they claim in the design aren't present.............and you all would be amazed at how many do it. I shouldn't however be surprised. These are the same people that say an XLR connection is a huge sounding upgrading over a regular RCA connection and that Silver is the greatest thing since slice bread, and rubbing Vaseline on your cables will improve the sound and hooking up a 9 volt battery to your cables and making them active will somehow make them the best cables on earth and so on and so on..........................................

My favourite one that is running around now is just that. Use Silver and hook up a battery to your cable and make them active! Huh????? I want my cables so I can hook my stuff up. I don't need them running around like the energizer bunny!

All kidding aside, I did try this. I took some runs of very high quality Silver and terminated them with the current trendy RCA the Eichman bullet's, shielded them etc. Basically anything you could think of I did. I then made them active. As you would imagine, they sounded exactly the same on the juice, or in rehab without the juice. I even went so far as to test them in various ways and there was squat for measurable difference.......the bunny is pissed at me.

#110332 09/13/05 04:51 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Now granted there is a benefit to (twisted pairs)

In network and telephony applications, they have some real benefit, I've seen people have problems with DSL on station wire in older homes. For interconnects, the foundation they work on no longer exists (voltage differential) so the point is moot.

In reply to:

These are the same people that say an XLR connection is a huge sounding upgrading over a regular RCA connection

Well, the XLR is balanced. So if you happen to live in a stadium, arena or concert hall and your CD player is backstage and your listening area is 250feet away in the balcony, it will reject more noise.

(Also, XLR and TRS aren't necessarily balanced - it's all in the cable, sometimes you end up with unbalanced sources, and have to put a BALUN into the line, you can have balanced and unbalanced cables with XLR and TRS connectors, unbalanced TS (Tip Sleeve... ie: "mono" 1/4" phono) and TRS can also be wired for an effects loop - sometimes to dual TS connectors - Effect In and Effect Out, even rarely to another TRS)

In reply to:

Silver is the greatest thing since slice bread

My rings are made of it...

In reply to:

rubbing Vaseline on your cables will improve the sound

I won't touch that one.

In reply to:

hooking up a 9 volt battery to your cables and making them active will somehow make them the best cables on earth

AudioQuest, for instance, has a set of cables that run 72 volts through the dielectric, since it is their belief cable break-in has to do with the charging of the dielectric and keeping it in a state of charge negates the break-in period (they also contend you have to break-in non-"active" cables every time they're used - they discharge unless you use their battery operated ones. The battery will last for years (Well, I guess so, the only load on it is the "test LED"... you can push a button and light up an LED to be sure your battery is still functioning) since the battery isn't even part of an electrical circuit, this dives headfirst into the hogwash section.

Bren R.

#110333 09/13/05 05:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not to pick on anybody but the link below is a good example of a guy who is trying to push the buyer beware stuff but then on the same page say's that cable vibration is a problem.

Jeeez, how can you take anything seriously when you put that in writing. Granted there are more then a few who agree with the theory but then again a lot of those people also believe that cables need to break in, speakers need to break in, fancy pucks under your equipment will make everything sound better etc etc etc etc!

It should be noted that I'm not picking on this guy and to a point I agree with a lot of what he say's but to me at least any credibility is lost as a result of one statement.

CABLE VIBRATION

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kevin1), 1,200 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup