Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
May Be Returning
#115301 11/08/05 02:11 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hello guys, long time no hear, well, at least from me anyways. lol

I wonder how many of my used to be buddies still remember just who in the heck I am. LOL

Seriously though, I've been without any Axioms for quite a little while now. I committed the cardinal sin and switched to another manufacture. Specifically speaking, Def Techs.

Now before I get dogged on, let me just say, I for one happen to really like Def Tech speakers, or I should say, I used to. However, things change, and I've come to the conclusion that my relationship with Def Tech is now over.

There are many reasons for this, but one of the biggest has to do with the fact that, well, they are not Audiophile speakers. Not in my opinion anyways. Now some may agrue that, but I can't imagin many that would.

Ok, down to the nitty gritty. Here's the deal guys. I'm thinking about returning back to Axioms, for all the same reason why all of you love your Axioms. Here's the problem though........

I feel, now guys, this is just my opinion speaking here, but part of the reason why I left Axioms to begin with is due to the fact that I've always felt their center channels were kind of their weak link, and I've owned them both. Does anybody else feel this way, or am I sailing in this boat all alone?

The other center channels that I've had, from Def Tech, to Paradigm, to you name it, they all beat the VP 100/150 in some way or another. Again, this is just my opinion. Axioms center channels just seem to lack something, and quite frankly I really can't put my finger on it. It's like it just lacks some umph ya know. All their other speakers, I can't say enough about. In a word, OUTSTANDING!!!!!! But I do feel they need to get off their tales and improve their center channel speakers.

Do any of you have any recommendations? Anybody try using one of their other speakers in place of the VP 100/150?

I appreciate the help/advice.

Sutter

Re: May Be Returning
#115302 11/08/05 02:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi sutter, welcome back....again

What was it: M50s and then M22s as I remember???

Anyway....

....You hit upon the leader of the "Axiom needs a New Center Using 6.5s" Posse'.......

.....uh,...that would be Me

I've been using an M3(vertical and inverted)for quite a while along with my M50s and am extreemly satisfied with that set-up.

However, I've also been toying with the idea of another M50 as center while patiently waiting to see if Axiom couldn't just possibly release a new 6.5" drivered center that would be just as nearly full-range as my currently utilized M3.

So Yup....You aren't the only one who feels that way

Welcome back!
Rich.

#115303 11/08/05 02:34 AM
shareholder in the making
Yeah, Kurt, we remember you and welcome you back. As you may recall, my preference has always been for a vertical center rather than any horizontal configuration(I've never heard the VP150), and in Axiom terms would use an M2 or possibly M22 on a TV or a speaker identical to the mains(e.g. M60)underneath a screen.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#115304 11/08/05 03:11 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hey thanks guys, I really appreciate the warm welcomes. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I recently jumped up to a front projector setup, and I'm thinking of going with, well it's the same ol' debate, just different models this time out. Either the M50's, M60's, or more then likely I'll take the plunge and go after the M80's.

I really loved all the Axioms I've ever owned. I mean, who else produces Audiophile speakers without the Audiophile price ya know. It's just that darn center channel that makes me wanna turn way. On the other hand, all their other speakers are exactly what brings me back! Talk about a double edge sword. lol

You know what would be kind of interesting, is to take an M50 and turn it on it's side. lol

Talk about one hellacious center channel! lol

Well, I'll have to figure out what would be my best options for the center channel, cause I'm about 90% sure I'll probably be returning to these truly remarkable speakers.

#115305 11/08/05 03:24 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I'm getting a set of 60's and a set of 22's for the center. I've heard enough negative comments regarding the VP's to avoid them.

#115306 11/08/05 03:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Funny you should mention turning an M50 on it's side...
I'd commented on that just last weekI have an asymetrical listening area and am able to do just that!!!

Yup....

I very nearly DID hoist one of my M50s up on my Mits 65", but the Wife made a few comments....

#115307 11/08/05 03:44 AM
Hey Sutter...welcome back!
Sorry about the "short and sweet" response, but I'm just exhausted and need to get to bed!

My feelings are that there isn't anything wrong with the VP150, it just isn't as spectacular as many of the other Axioms. My M60s are stellar. The QS-8s are world class. And the new subs are outragous. In my opinion, the VP150 is a very good speaker.... it's just not as amazing as some others and therefore appears weak in comparison.

Just my opinion....YMMV!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#115308 11/08/05 04:12 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Interesting how you bring up their new subs. I just purchased the HSU VTF-3 MK2 not too long ago, and I absolutely love it! It's by far one of the best subs I've ever owned, and I've owned some great ones over the years.

That said, since the release of the EP600, man o' man! Oh how I've been seriously eye balling that bad boy, and considering I'm also putting in a second system upstairs, well, heeheehee, I might just move my HSU up there and snatch myself one of these EP600's for my main system in my theater room. Although that's yet to be decided, for I really to love my HSU sub. However it's still a very strong possibility.

#115309 11/08/05 04:52 AM
Welcome back, sir! I must say that I rather like our VP100, but I am not, perhaps, the most discerning of listeners.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#115310 11/08/05 05:45 AM
veteran
veteran
I too believe that the VP150 is the weak link in my system. I've heard others talk about using a Paradigm center in it's place. I mainly listen to music in 2 channel so I'm in no big hurry, but I'm sure I'll be replacing the VP150 at some point.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,172 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup