Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: May Be Returning
#115311 11/08/05 07:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
If you've gone the FP route, why not three M60ti's up front?

#115312 11/08/05 08:20 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In reply to:

If you've gone the FP route, why not three M60ti's up front?

Oh believe me buddy, I've been thinking about that. Unless I decide to jump up to the 80's that is. I wouldn't quite have the clearence for a third 80 in the middle. Well, actually yes I would, if I turned it on it's side.

#115313 11/08/05 12:08 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
If 80's and 60's are supposed to be identical excpet for how much louder the 80's will go and the 80's being a little deeper you could go 80, 60, 80...no?

My first upgrade was the VP150 which I had for a year before buying my 60's and QS8's. I am happy with the VP150 but like everyone else I think the other speakers are just that much better...
A big consideration has to be placement though as well. I did notice a slight improvement once I wall mounted my VP150 and aimed it to my position.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
#115314 11/08/05 05:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Unless your room is HUGE I can't imagine three M60ti's up front wouldn't be enough. That's a LOT of speaker.

*sigh* I wish I had a dedicated room for HT.

If I did there's no doubt I'd go the FP route with three M60ti's up front. Two pair of QS8's for surrounds and rears, and likely dual EP500's. (If I'm not mistaken two subs are easier to setup and get flat responses from than one, and two EP500's are likely more sub than I'd ever really need!)

...someday.

#115315 11/08/05 05:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ya know Guys...thinkin' about it for a moment, this whole center channel question is a lot tougher than it sounds on the surface

If you look at the way Axiom has positioned itself, the VP100 and 150 are the only way that currently works!!

Since most common receivers still offer just one crossover point for each and every speaker in use, and since the QS series only happily go down to around 80hz at best....

....and, take a look at the graphs for the bookshelf AND floorstanders. There ain't "really" a whole lot showing on the graphs below a good solid 80hz.!!! We're not exactly talkin' THX here, but I sure think I see a philosophical similarity evident!(of course, by default)

Read the posts here in the forum; most everyone uses 80hz as their crossover point cause it works best!!

I use 60hz with my M50s, and M3s as center and surrounds, but I do have to do some EQ work in my recvr to accomplish it! It works, but I'd still "Like More"!!!

So for those of us who, because of some character flaw, wish to cross below 80hz, and who want something closer to a full-range speaker in positions other than mains, we just don't currently have many options.

Right now the Axiom emphasis seems to be on the crown jewel 5.25" driver. My favorite; the 6.5, seems to bave been relegated to the bassment.

As I had mentioned in an earlier post; the avg Axiom based home theater a few years back was a few M3s around a 27" Trinitron. Now, however the number of truly serious and beautifully executed Home Theaters using Axiom products is growing at a frantic pace. The EP500 and 600 are a good indicator of the direction that Axiom is headed. I can't help but imagine that more good stuff has to be coming in the future.

I'm holding out for a new full(er)-range center And surrounds.
Rich.

......but not too long please,.....us folks in the "Grey Posse" can't wait forever!

#115316 11/08/05 07:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Sutter and all

I use a modified center channel speaker with 2 Axiom 6.5"s, a Reference 3a de capo mm tweeter (and x-over letting the 6.5s run free), and a customized supertweeter flat to 40KHz. Love it.

I think a nice JM Labs center would work well with M60/M80 fronts.

My best friend has a big HT system with Parasound Halo Processor and amp deriving 3 DefTechs, a pair of QS8s and an Axiom EP500. The weak links? Definitely the DefTechs.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#115317 11/08/05 07:34 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In reply to:

Unless your room is HUGE I can't imagine three M60ti's up front wouldn't be enough. That's a LOT of speaker.

It isn't about not being enough, or what I need. If I decide to go after the 80's, it'll be simply because I can, that's all.

F107plus5,

As for the crossover, well I tend to go against the grain a little there. I tend to have mine set at 50hz, sometimes 80, just kind of depends.

#115318 11/09/05 10:53 PM
old hand
old hand
Please explain to me why Def Te c speakers are not Audiophile speakers,and Axiom are.I switched from Axiom to Def Tec and I'm very happy.The VP 150 was my main reason for the switch.

#115319 11/09/05 11:11 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
"audiophile speaker" is a highly subjective label. There is no universal definition. What one person calls 'audiophile quality' another person will call 'crap'.

#115320 11/09/05 11:53 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In reply to:

Please explain to me why Def Te c speakers are not Audiophile speakers,and Axiom are.I switched from Axiom to Def Tec and I'm very happy.The VP 150 was my main reason for the switch.

I'll do my best, but I've never been too good and trying to explain things.

First let me point out, this hobby, and damn near everything surrounding it, is all very subjective. So don't take my opinions for anything more then what they are. They're just my opinions.

That said, it's true I probably should have chosen better words to use, other then to just come out and say they're not Audiophile speakers. I certainly do not find them to be, but others very well may. So, again, it's all very subjective.

I do not find Def Techs to come anywhere near the level or caliber of speaker that Axioms are. Not on the whole anyways. They simple just don't do nor offer everything Axioms do.

That said, they DO have their strengths, and they certainly have their advantages. One being their bipolor design. Now again you start diving into the whole subjective thing again, because the cold hard facts are, not everybody digs that bipolor design. Some love it, some hate it, it all pretty much boils down to what applications your using. If it's all or mostly HT, they really shine. Music is debatable. Some find Def Tech to do music well, others find them to do it poorly.

The bottom line here is, there is NO right nor wrong. It all boils down to personal taste and preference. I was very happy with Def Techs. I had a Def Tech system for years before discovering Axioms. So I'm not in any way bashing them or saying Def Tech sucks and Axioms rule! I do feel Axioms do rule though, I just don't feel Def Techs suck either.

Now you said you switched mostly due to the center channel. Well, this the right thread for that issue. This was/is the reason I left Axioms and switched back to Def Techs for a while. I don't find Axioms center channel to be all that great, and personally feel that compared to all their other speakers, they're down right a disgrace. That's just my opinion though, nothing more, nothing less. I simply don't feel they're up to par with the rest of the Axiom line.

It IS important that I note though, just because I don't find the VP100/150 to be up to par with the rest of Axioms speakers, does NOT mean I think they're garbarge either. They're better then a lot of center channels I've heard, they're also worse in some regards. It depends on what your picking on, or better put, analyzing. My biggest issue/complaint with the VP100/150 is, well, I haven't really been able to discribe that very well, or put that into words, but it just seems to lack something. Kind of like it doesn't have the umph that many other centers that I've had experience with has.

The imaging is excellent, the soundstage is fantastic, and the clarity is just outstanding, but it really lacks punch, substance, lower end, whatever. Now some will say, well that's what you have a subwoofer for. Well, my responce to that is, yes and no. I agree with that and I don't agree with that. But I can go on forever on this issue. So to wrap this up, I'll just say, I feel some improvements needs to be made to Axioms center channels. Perhaps a model with 6.5" drivers would be a good start, perhaps not, but I'd welcome it. Cause the bottom line is, it is NOT all about music for everybody. For many, it's about movies, home theater.

In the meanwhile, there's ways to work around this issue. I'll either go with another speaker in their line to serve as my center channel; Or I'll just buy off on the VP150 again, for I never found it to be down right terrible. I can use other equipment in my system to help compensate for what 150 lacks if deemed necessary.

Again, just my thoughts, just my opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. I could be wrong.

Sutter

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,057 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup