Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lost job
#115685 11/12/05 07:47 PM
local
local
Nick,

Sorry to hear about the current misfortune. Our thoughts go out to you in this tough time.

As others have stated and as you have most likely seen, things usually get better in the long run due to changes like this. They just suck while they are happening.

And we can all certainly agree on the difficulties of incompetant management. I laughed at the previous post about a complaint given to HR getting back to your manager 9 times out of 10. Well my incompetent manager is also now our HR goto person. How's that! Go government work.

Keep you head up and know that something better is waiting for you.

#115686 11/14/05 03:28 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK. First off, thanks everyone for your supportive words. It seems like things have gotten even more strange . I got a call back from HR late on Friday and the lady thought that I was just asking about benefits, but I really clued her in to there being a bigger problem that the company owes it to itself to investigate. I didn't give her all of the details, but got enough out there to spark interest.

I did get some good advice from some other people that work(ed) for HR departments (unfortunately not around Des Moines where I live). They said to make sure to use key words that HR people are trained to listen for. So, and I was being completely truthful, I used words like "hostile work environment," based off of the true tyrant that my boss was all of the time to people, "descrimination," even though it is pretty weak, I found that of the last 4 people that have been terminated by my boss, 3 (including myself) were men, and we were all terminated imediately without reason, and 1 was a woman that lied on her job application, lied on her resume, lied in her interview, and it took over 9 months of written warnings and meetings before she was fired. That did get the HR person more interested.

I asked for a face-to-face meeting for Monday, and was told "We don't usually do that since there is an HR representative in the termination meeting." I told her that the reason I wanted to meet with HR was because there WAS NOT a HR person at the termination. I also said that the reason I was given, which I had to ask repeatedly for, went like this:
"What exactly did I do?" - me
"If we didn't have the outage this morning, we wouldn't be here." - my old boss

Pretty severe since the system outage (I work in IT) impacted less than 10 regular (not high paid executives) employees for less than 15 minutes, and it would have been even less if the support people that were in the office at the time (it was about an hour before I nromally get there) had been more responsive. It was even proven that other people were directly responsible for the system problem, but since I was the "manager" (even though the primary person that caused the problem doesn't report to me) it was my fault.

Here is what we (myself and a few other people I worked with) think really was the reason. Our IT department had been hit with a rash of system outages lately. My part of that department had about 2 (including the one in question) in the last week, but none for months before that, and other parts of IT have had dozens of outages, so really we were doing pretty good comparitively. Anyway, the CIO said in an executive meeting (which my boss would have been at) that if there were any more server outages, his staff would be in big trouble (keeping this post clean). Well, there was an outage, and my boss saved his butt by putting mine on the chopping block. Pretty typical. He always stole my good ideas as his own, and always blamed us for his mistakes, which of course doesn't help build credibility with others that don't know the "real" Randy (my boss, not SirQuack).

What is even worse is the fact that I had been busting my butt for the last month as we lost probably the best server admin I have ever worked with and I had to do my job and his. Anyway, I was picking up new skills and polishing old ones that I hadn't used to make sure that our department keep running. In fact, other parts of the IT department had told me that they expected projects to be delayed, but were happy when they weren't and that because of my extra efforts things never skipped a beat.

The lawyer also told me that since it was for no fault of my own, that really I was layed off and not fired. He said that this is a big difference. He also said that to him it was a clear cut case for me getting unemployment, which is something like 60% of my salary, so that would be a big help. I know that it will take some time for that to kick in, and I anticipate my employer will fight it, but I should get it. That would be HUGE for my family as at least there will be some money coming in.

So for those of you wondering what I need (for the praying type, or even those that just like to make wishes in wishing wells, I'll take what I can get)...

1) A new job in my field soon.
2) Unemployment money
3) Some sort of compensation from my former employer. I would prefer not to deal with a lawyer, so a severance package agreement, or something would be good.
4) That I don't have to pull out my 401K. I got a late start, and at 33 years old, would hate to have to start over.
5) Upbeat spirits for me and my family. My oldest daughter has been uprooted so much. In fact, with each of my last 4 jobs changes, we've had to move. She is afraid of that again.

Oh, and SirQuack, I have been in IT since graduating college in 1994. Started as a PC tech, moved in to Microsoft and Novell networking, was offered a promotion into management, have been doing hands on networking and staff management since. The last 3.5 years at my latest employer was about 85% staff and project management, and about 15% Windows server related work. My best management skills are working with people and getting them to be productive. I believe in some structured weekly meetings (one on one meetings) but find it more critical to be with the team daily to keep up to the minute on what is going on and how I can help the team to be more successful. I do not micromanage, however, unless a particular person needs the added "attention" to get back on track. My biggest weakness is my company loyalty. I am pro-company when talking to others both inside and outside the company so much, that sometimes it takes preceidence over my own needs.

Whew, was that a good interview answer or what.

OK. Now that wou are all asleep from reading this. Thank you and good night.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#115687 11/14/05 06:41 AM
shareholder in the making
Dude, that really, really bites. Best of luck in fighting it.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#115688 11/14/05 12:38 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
Getting the "shaft" by 4 straight employers from the age of 22 to 27 caused me to start my own company. 18 Years, 6 companies, 3 partners, and a lot of happy employees later, I say it is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Many small businesses are computer challenged - perhaps there is a biz opportunity there ?

#115689 11/14/05 12:51 PM
I'd pay someone $500 to get my 5 computers networked properly.... I already have the hardware.

Maybe Craig's right.....!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#115690 11/14/05 03:08 PM
Geez, I wish I lived in your area. And didn't have a non-compete clause in my contract...

#115691 11/14/05 05:17 PM
Are you hiring for any Iowa Reps Craigsub Nick and I could bring in huge returns...

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#115692 11/14/05 05:58 PM
C
connoisseur
connoisseur
C
We have not made it you Iowa just yet - but as soon as we do, You guys are first in line for an interview ...

#115693 11/15/05 07:59 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Count me in!

I tried my hand at being "self employed" for a while. Thought that I could make a go at computer consulting. After a lot of small time jobs that barely kept food on the table, I went back to corporate America. Too hard to compete against big name outfits that offer consulting teams. If you don't like what one guy does for you, they'll pull him and give you someone else. With a one man shop, it wasn't too appealing. At least to anyone big enough to pay me enough to make it worth my time. I took just about any job too, and it ended up that I was bringing in about $10 an hour!!! I could work at McDonalds and make more. Of course, it was mainly because I was being paid by the job not by the hour and a lot of small companies say that they want X which should take a day to do, but then when you get in there, they want X still, but forgot to tell you that Y and Z are tied to X and A needs to be upgraded, before B , which feeds data to Z, etc... Small businesses just don't know what is going on with their systems, and most wait until very late in the game to get someone involved, so a project can take a lot more time than it is worth.

Oddly enough, I got a call from Citigroup today. They called me (must have gotten my name from Dice.com or some other job search site) asking if I would be interested in a job change into financial advisement. I asked some key questions: How would someone with no investment experience get trained? Answer, by watching others. How would someone with no experience in the field get clients? Answer, by talking to friends and cold calls. What kind of pay are we looking at? Answer, one guy made $4,000,000 last year, because it is commissions based.

I told him no thanks! No real training, I have to call everyone I know to try to sell them my services, and anyone else is just called as their name appears in the phone book or from a web site lead, and I could make nothing while I'm at it... I don't think so.

Right now my time is better spent searching for a job in my field, or at least for something I have experience or knowledge in.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#115694 11/15/05 08:32 PM
Oh lord, that sounds like my worst nightmare. Good luck searching.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters