CD player versus computer
#116364 11/16/05 11:19 PM
C
cbee Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
C
Since everyone was helpful for my first question, I'll ask another. I know some people spend a lot of money on CD players. I was hoping to use my computer as the source. I guess what I don't understand is what do good CD players do differently than crappy ones? How does a computer stack up? What about sound cards with creative labs new X chip; it is supposed to make a big difference.

If you compare a (to talk extremes) $2000 CD player to a computer, at what stage do different things happen? If it is in how you process the bits, then can you buy programs that will play the song better? Or is it during the digital to analog conversion that sound quality suffers? If that is the case can one buy a separate DAC, output the music from the computer to the (good) DAC, which then goes to the amp? Will this then give you quality comparable to the top end CD player?

Also (sorry, many questions posing as one post) how is MP3 quality? If I use lossless encoding (LAME) is it really lossless? Will it sound as good as the original WAV file? I really want to store all of my music on my computer just because it is convenient. If I were to spend a lot of money on a really good stereo (which I won't right now) is it a waste to then use a computer as the source?

I know this is a weighty question I'm asking, so if you have a link I'll be happy to go and do some background reading. I did try to find this on the web, a comparison of computers to CD players and stuff, but I came up with nothing.

Thanks

Cisco

Re: CD player versus computer
#116365 11/16/05 11:29 PM
shareholder in the making
Aaaaarg! Hit the deck!

Ooh, 2 controversies in one post.. .

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#116366 11/16/05 11:30 PM
I'll answer part of your question and leave the rest to other brave souls.

If you're using your CD player simply to read the digital information off of it and pass the digital data stream to another component, then the hardware you use makes no difference. In other words, the digital output on your soundcard (optical or coaxial makes no difference) will sound the same as the digital output on a $2000 CD player.

The analog outputs are a completely different story.

#116367 11/17/05 12:54 AM
aficionado
aficionado
If you want to use your PC use a high-quality sound card like Turtle Beach or M-Audio. Do NOT use an onboard software-based "AC97" type sound controller. As far as playing cd's on your computer I've read that the transports in good CD-ROM and CDRW drives are as good as those found in some "audiophile" quality cd players. I like NEC drives. Panasonic too. As mentioned above it is probably best to output digital and let your receiver do the D/A conversion. Or I guess an outboard DAC. But if you're going to spend money on an outboard DAC why not get a good universal player to begin with? Ay, therein lies the rub. No SACD/DVD-A for you!

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
#116368 11/17/05 02:27 AM
T
buff
buff
T
cbee,

Using a computer as a source has been a popular trend in high end audio lately. Some of the best sound at this year's Rocky Mountain Audiofest were using hard drives as source. People aren't using the computer as a transport (only to rip onto the hard drive in tact at 1411kbps), but rather the hard drive as a digital source. Pmbuko is right about the analog output being the critical stage and this is where the rubber hits the road. Look on Audio Asylum, they have a pc audio forum. These guys swear by this method of digital playback.

#116369 11/17/05 03:22 AM
C
cbee Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
C
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I may have some reading to do...

#116370 11/17/05 04:12 AM
Cisco, when you're looking for a CD player, it's pretty hard to find a "crappy one". They've advanced to the point where the drive, laser and DAC on even most inexpensive players perform audibly flawlessly. The same would apply to recent computers. Go whichever way is most convenient for you or you otherwise prefer. High-priced players provide no advantage in sound quality.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020