Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What is best way to soundproof a room and chea
#118102 12/07/05 03:22 AM
jhunt17 Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
So the only place I need to really concentrate on is the ceiling and the side wall that opens to the rest of the basement as far as the soundproofing goes. Now, how much soundproofing do I loose when I add recessed lighting into the ceiling. Is this a bad idea or not. I was planning on running this type of lighting throughout the ceiling and put them on dimmer switches that I can control by remote. If all I have to do is use the quiet rock for the ceiling and the other wall then I could probably afford to do that. 3 of the walls are next to concrete block.

7.1 theater room
60 fronts vp180 center 4 qs8's ep500 sub

3.0 tv room
m3's vp150 center
#118103 12/07/05 03:30 AM
jhunt17 Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
What is acoustic batting? How much of a stc reduction does it perform? Also, thank you for the posts. They are helping me tremendously with this project I am about to embark on. I am excited to get started. Thanks again everyone.

7.1 theater room

3.0 tv room
m3's vp150 center
#118104 12/07/05 03:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

If you are trying to figure out ideal dimensions, there are programs available that allow you to input dimensions of the room and the listening position and they will calculate theoretical nulls and peaks.

Bruce, do you have any links to such programs? I've been thinking more and more of room acoustics lately and have considered buying acoustical treatments. I just want to know what I'm getting into before I spend money.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#118105 12/07/05 02:40 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

Bruce, do you have any links to such programs?

Absolutely. In fact I came across one that runs in Excel.

http://www.mts.net/~joanlh/room-frequency-response.xls

If I post it, then any one who is interested can use it. I can not remember where I picked it up from but it is very handy.

#118106 12/07/05 02:57 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

So the only place I need to really concentrate on is the ceiling and the side wall that opens to the rest of the basement as far as the soundproofing goes. Now, how much soundproofing do I loose when I add recessed lighting into the ceiling. Is this a bad idea or not. I was planning on running this type of lighting throughout the ceiling and put them on dimmer switches that I can control by remote. If all I have to do is use the quiet rock for the ceiling and the other wall then I could probably afford to do that. 3 of the walls are next to concrete block.

Partition walls that are used to separate different spaces (home theater from adjacent office for example) should have the staggered wall construction (Note: considering the actual difference in cost between the "cheapest" and "better" construction, it is not that much more of an investment to create a staggered wall construction - Alan was correct with this instruction; it is really more labour than material cost).

When constructing the staggered wall, place the batt insulation against the wall that is not on the media room side. It is recommended to leave an air gap rather than fill the cavity completely with insulation.

The ceiling will rely on the batt insulation to provide the noise isolation. Noise will obviously be conducted through the ceiling/joist interface to the floor above but this should not be significant.

I would avoid recessed lighting. Either use wall sconces or a lit valence. Recessed lighting is a path for sound leakage as well as requiring special fixtures rated for insulated installation (fire hazard, otherwise). You can still use dimmer controls.

If three of your four walls are nest to concrete block, then you need only one staggered wall with Quietrock. All walls still require batt insulation, however you would use acoustic batt on the staggered wall and regular thermal insulation on the walls with block. The walls against the block do not need an air gap and should not require the Quietrock product.

It should be noted that if you use anything other than Roxul or rigid foam board against the exterior block walls, you should install a vapour barrier to protect the insulation and stop moisture from permeating and condensing in the walls. What region do you live in?

#118107 12/07/05 03:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks, Bruce.

Just one small problem--I'm a Mac user. I can download the program, but that's about it. Does anyone know if there is any way I can run the program? I took a computer science course back in Jr High, but it just taught me about Commodores. It's very useful today. . .

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
#118108 12/07/05 04:02 PM
jhunt17 Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
I live in southern ohio, actually ironton, It is on the Ohio kentucky border. I will definitely put the vapor barrier in my walls. So with the ceiling should I use the quietrock there. That is if I can get it in this area. What about the mass loaded stuff. The basement has a ceiling that is a wood venere material. Could I use this too as an additional barrier? Or would this stuff vibrate. Where do I find the nice wall mounted lights you are talking about?

7.1 theater room

3.0 tv room
m3's vp150 center
#118109 12/07/05 05:34 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

Just one small problem--I'm a Mac user. I can download the program, but that's about it. Does anyone know if there is any way I can run the program? I took a computer science course back in Jr High, but it just taught me about Commodores. It's very useful today. . .

I'm a Mac user too . You need to download XDarwin and then download Open Office.

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

Great Site!

#118110 12/07/05 05:43 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

The basement has a ceiling that is a wood venere material. Could I use this too as an additional barrier? Or would this stuff vibrate.

Extra mass is always good. If it is that tongue-and-groove board, that is acceptable. If it is just panelboard (hardwood), I'd demolish it. Does this material cover up the joists? If so, you will need to remove it to install the batt insulation. You may also have cross-bracing between the joists that should be removed and replaced with a single 2x4 brace to allow for complete installation of the batts.

In reply to:

Where do I find the nice wall mounted lights you are talking about?

THAT is tricky. There are tons of different types of wall sconces ranging from $20 each to $600 each (custom). Best bet is to check your local harware store. I like the valence method as it allows you to blend perimeter valence lighting in with the walls and ceiling and the only thing you have protruding from your walls are QS8s (or QS4s).

The "best" valence lighting will have a continuous line of lights to give even lighting around the entire perimeter. You can use fluorescent strips or you can go with dimmable Xenon or dimmable halogen (Xenon is cooler than halogens). It will come down to your price point.

#118111 12/07/05 07:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Where do I find the nice wall mounted lights you are talking about?

Your local lamp stores and stores like Lowe's and Home Depot should have some sconces available.

Here are some contemporary wall sconces at Award Lighting, which might give you some ideas.

They also offer rustic wall sconces and Southwestern wall sconces.

You might try a google search for wall sconces as well.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,031 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup