Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Poll: Who's jazzed for the new King Kong movie
#119534 12/09/05 01:12 PM
shareholder in the making
I just read something about that yesterday, as a matter of fact. Some higher-up from Disney was quoted regarding "same day" releases.

My wife still likes going to the movies once in awhile, but I'm always disappointed and surprised she isn't as well.... Maybe she's just getting tired of looking at me all the time??

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#119535 12/09/05 08:35 PM
veteran
veteran
Guys,

When I first heard about the movie I thought nothing of it. But after reading some buzz, it might possibly be a classic. There's even some rumors it might get nominated for BEST PICTURE.

After Peter Jackson finished off the movie, he previewed it to the top brass and they were all simply amazed. With his track record with the LoTR films we all should give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm hoping he will be able to capture the magic from the Lotr movies and from all indications it seems he has.

Yea I would totally love to watch it my HT but some movies just have to be watched on a GIANT screen. I won't be camping overnight but am eagerly anticipating it.

When the first Lotr movies started showing previews I thought the movie looked lame and who the hell would watch it. After seeing longer previews it piqued my curiosity, went to see it and totally dug it. Back then who in the world would ever think those movies would go on to make all that money and win all those Oscars. I'm really hoping Kong does the same...people at first don't think much of it and are simply blown away when they see it.

PS-I guess everyone could say I'm a big Peter Jackson fan

#119536 12/16/05 07:23 PM
veteran
veteran
Oh man just saw Kong last night and let's just say it failed to live up to my expectations. I think the action sequences got pretty ridiculous and now I'm not even sure if I'll get it on DVD when it coes out. The story wasn't all the great either. Overall, this movie was nowhere near the quality of the LoTR trilogy. Crap I was really hoping to like this movie but it just didn't do it for me.

So who else has seen and what are your thoughts on it?

#119537 12/16/05 09:47 PM
I've talked to a few of my friends that have been to the showing, they said it is better than all the LOTR's combined, and the dinasaur scenes are better than Jurassic Park.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#119538 12/16/05 10:13 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Not at all interested.

The CG in the trailers looks nearly as bad as the original 1933 stop-motion... even having mo-capped an actor PLAYING Kong doesn't keep him from looking like a cutscene from an XBox game. The only thing I want to see Peter Jackson's name on is an Unemployment Insurance form.

Not to steal the thread, but finally got a chance to see Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Bra-vo, Tim. I was shocked and amazed at how well he pulled off the blending of a small amount of CG with a lot of careful overshot compositing (of Deep Roy - "the" Oompah-Loompah) and an amount of animatronic that I wouldn't have guessed was in the film (I thought it was world-class CG - turned out to be world-class animatronics!)

Some blockbusters raise the bar... some phone it in. I'd hate to see Peter Jackson's phone bill, probably only topped by George Lucas' and James Cameron's.

Tim Burton, David Fincher, Alex Proyas, Philip Kaufman, Alan Parker (you'll have to excuse him for Fame!)... these guys can direct.

Bren R.

#119539 12/16/05 11:31 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Umm...really going to pan a movie based on CG images in a trailer? I mean by all rights I can't say you nay. But jeez. And yes TB is good if uneven. Certainly imaginative. CATCF looked good but other than that I was looking at my watch half an hour in.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
#119540 12/17/05 01:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Trailers can be deceiving. I remember seeing the trailer for Ang Lee's "The Hulk" and those were clearly temp fx in the trailer. Most people figured that's what the entire movie would look like. Thank god it wasn't. Regardless of how you liked the movie, the fx were done pretty well in the final product.

The big monkey movie is certainly getting mixed reviews. Mostly on the extremes. Lots of "loved it" and "hated it"'s.

#119541 12/17/05 02:13 PM
veteran
veteran
I have kind of mixed feelings about watching it in the theater. I remember watching the last Star Wars movie in the movie theaters, and there was a woman next to me talking on her cell phone and text messaging.

Though I think that watching King Kong in the theaters will provide a different experience, this difference is now less pronounced with my recent purchase of my HT system.

#119542 12/19/05 12:48 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I have always had good luck going to "big release" movies on Christmas night. Theaters are usually near-empty. I'm going to see Kong with some friends and family on the 25th at 9PM. That should do it.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
#119543 12/19/05 06:20 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Umm...really going to pan a movie based on CG images in a trailer? I mean by all rights I can't say you nay. But jeez.

Umm.. yes, what would I base where my movie watching money would go? Critical acclaim? If Rex Reed and the ghost of Gene Siskel (or the mustache of Gene Shalit) like a movie, I'll like it? All in the eye of the beholder... you have 00:00:29.15 in a commercial trailer to show me the best of what you've got... if it's a CG wankfest and your CG stinks on ice, either your PR people should be dragged out and shot, or your movie's a dog in the effects department... and if you're hoisting it based on the effects and not the story, and the effects stink, how bad is the story?

In reply to:

And yes TB is good if uneven. Certainly imaginative. CATCF looked good but other than that I was looking at my watch half an hour in.

I'm not a fanboy of Tim Burton's... but he can direct. And he can tell a story - I'd rather see him do Dick and Jane than watch Lucas or Cameron (can you tell who my LEAST fave directors are?) do Shakespeare. Tim's offbeat, and he strikes a great balance between cerebral humour/slapstick/drama, darkness/light and just plain ridiculousness.

Bren R.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 674 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup