Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: M22's or M60's?
#12150 06/19/03 03:14 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Aaah! You're all making me want M60s instead of the M22s that will meet the WAF standard and I can possibly afford!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#12151 06/19/03 03:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey, don't drag me into your frustration.

I say get the M22's and a Hsu...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

#12152 06/19/03 04:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I would still agree with spiffnme. I personally think it is much harder to build a floorstander that does a great job of balancing mids and highs with the bass. A great bookshelf/mini monitor with a proper musical tight sub can best a floorstander. Why I think that is?
A floorstander is one box. The box has to double duty in the mid and high department as with a bass department. Some speakers I have listened too do exhibit issues with either the bass being overbearing the mids and highs or the bass lacking to improve mids or highs. Generally the bigger floorstanders tend to color the sound.
In a scenerio where you separate the mids and highs from the bass you get each box to specialize in each range. This specialization you can extend the mids and highs appropriately and dial in the sub to the proper volume levels having the best of all ranges. A M22 partnared with a VTF or HSU sub can cover a broader range (18hz - 22Khz) than the M60 (37hz-22Khz).
I have demoed tonnes of floorstanders and mini monitors. By far I have yet to hear a floorstander that can best a better sound stage depth and clarity of a mini monitor. If you want ummppffhhh go for a floorstander. If you want to hear the different placements of the singer in respect to the drummer at the back, the bass player on the left forward and the violin player on the right between the main center singer and the back drummer go for a mini monitor and a fast, tight, musical sub. I find mini monitors tend to image better.

Saturn

#12153 06/19/03 04:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oooh Saturn.
That post is just loaded with presumptions (comments withheld).

Opinion accepted, although heartily disagreed with.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#12154 06/19/03 04:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Over the past 6-9 months I've listened to literally dozens of speakers. A bunch before I bought my M22's, as research going into the purchase, and a bunch afterwards, trying to reassure myself that I did indeed make the right decision. (I did!)

I listened bookshelfs and floorstanders. 9 times out of 10 I preferred the sound of the bookshelf. And everytime it was for the same reason. Details. Nearly every floorstanding speaker I heard was flat, and dull in the high end. Most also sounded a bit bloated and loose in the low end. Granted not ALL floorstanders sounded like this. The Energy Veritas 2.4 floorstanders sounded quite nice. But they're $3600 a pair!!!

Dollar for dollar you'll never convince me that a floorstanding speaker can sound as good as a bookshelf/sub combo. If you've got the cash, sure - buy a GREAT floorstander and add a GREAT sub to it, and you'll beat the sound of my bookshelf/sub, but it's going to cost you.

In the case of Axiom, it sounds like that may only cost you an additional $400, but that's still $400, and I doubt the difference is all that earth shattering between the M22/Hsu combo and the M60/Hsu combo.*

*Assuming a small/medium roomsize. If you're in a larger room, physics dictate larger speakers.

#12155 06/19/03 04:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
okey
I know I know....but that my personal opinion

enlighten me sir

#12156 06/19/03 06:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have no enlightenment to give really, just a different perspective.
If you prefer bookshelves over floorstandings, then so be it.
Just to say that the mini monitors broadly have more detail though is very presumptious since their are a TON of speakers out there.

Lets say we consider the M60 vs. the M22.
The M60 is virtually identical to the M22 except larger. I've auditioned them both and have a strong impression of how they both sound for music and HT (in my basement).
So is the M22 really more detailed or is there a sound difference between the two that is common to only one speaker that makes it seem this way?
Same tweeters, same mid range woofer.
The M60 just has more bass from 2-6" woofers while the M22 derives its bass from one 5.24".
So perhaps one thought here is that mini monitors sound more detailed because they tend to lack lower end volume which can muddle (for lack of a better word) the mid range and high end.
Think of it as turning down the bass knob and turning up a treble knob. Does that not make the sounds more 'clear'?
But if so, then how would adding a subwoofer to the mini monitor actually sound better than the floorstanding?
Would the heavy low end from the subwoofer not also 'muddle' the same mids and highs of the mini monitor?
If anything, it should muddle it even more so since most subs typically have drivers larger than those on floorstandings. In adding a subwoofer, especially ones with larger drivers (ie. ep350 with a 12" driver) cannot produce bass as tight or fast as the smaller M60 woofers. As much as people would like to say their subs are tight and fast, the larger the driver, the greater the physics against it moving at anything but 'fast'. Bass is a slower cycling, longer physical wavelength. We can't change that into fast unless we were the almighty.

I certainly prefer the M60 alone for music. I find the subwoofer for music to be overbearing or sludgy and simply does not play as accurate bass in the higher low-end spectrum (say 50Hz to 200Hz) nearly as well as a 6" driver on a floorstanding model.
That is my opinion and preference.

The subwoofer for our purposes is best suited for HT applications, but with a FEW musical exceptions which include pipe organs and some other low note instruments (like goblin drums in LOTR). However, we are talking about the VERY low end and small range of sound here (0-30Hz).

As for the argument of 'removing duties from low end of floorstanding to 'specialized' units', it just doesn't make sense. Why would anyone even expect their speaker to be having a problem reproducing bass sounds at all?
Is their receiver/amp perhaps not feeding it enough power because certainly the speaker is designed to play its bass just as well as it does high end or mid range.
Speakers should not change their sounds just because there is a perception that the user has 'removed a burden' from the system. If your system is robust enough to provide enough proper power, then there is no such requirement to have a 'burden' removed.

As it is, using a subwoofer, a distinct unit, only adds to the excess setup issues in finding a location or settings that work properly in all situations.
Could you imagine if the M60 tower was actually 4 independant 'specialized' units, all requiring placement to tweak for a good sound?
I think that would drive people absolutely mad.
Already this idea of a 10.2 system has Semi_On in a tizzy.

All that being said, some people very much prefer the heavyness of a sub into the higher ranges.
Do i think an M22-sub combo beats out an M60?
Depends on how you like your bass and it depends on music vs. HT.
Does an M60-sub combo beat out an M22-combo?
The answer is still the same. It depends on how you like your bass (well done or medium rare) and with music (hip hop dance or light guitar and choir vocals) vs HT.

#12157 06/19/03 09:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I agree with you Chess wholeheartedly.
But...but... Why would you say a sub bass would overpower/muddle the mid and highs? On the contrary on my personal experience the sub still blended well with the mini monitor. I still heard the detail and depth clearly present in the mini-monitor and the sub covered the rest of the lower frequecy. This is based on some 8 inch and some 6.5 inch driver subwoofers. Yes they are relatively small but the bass was seemless. When playing music I didn't even equate the sound coming from the sub area. The bass was all around.

With a floorstander some of the mid frequency is shared by the woofers. By offloading the lower frequencies 80hz and lower to the sub the woofers would concentrate on a shorter range of frequencies. So upper bass and lower mid range frequencies are more distinct(don't quote me on that).
Wouldn't the same principle apply to mini monitors? But doesn't having a smaller box decreases the chance of colouration?

#12158 06/19/03 11:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Why would you say a sub bass would overpower/muddle the mid and highs?

I was referring to bass sounds in general, when present, can overpower some of the mids and highs making a speaker sound 'less detailed' than one that does not produce the lower end frequencies as much (such as the bookshelf vs tower).

In reply to:

On the contrary on my personal experience the sub still blended well with the mini monitor. I still heard the detail and depth clearly present in the mini-monitor and the sub covered the rest of the lower frequecy. This is based on some 8 inch and some 6.5 inch driver subwoofers. Yes they are relatively small but the bass was seemless

I never said that the subwoofers cannot be integrated into a seamless sound but that setting it up properly takes more effort and often times is never perfectly achieved. This is because the subwoofer is an individual component separate from the main speaker which has its own distinct influence on sound off of ITS specific location to walls, furniture, etc.

In reply to:

With a floorstander some of the mid frequency is shared by the woofers. By offloading the lower frequencies 80hz and lower to the sub the woofers would concentrate on a shorter range of frequencies.

Crossovers will dictate what range of sound is MOST handled by a particular driver. The M60 has two 6" woofers for bass such that the midrange is handled by its 5.25" driver (same as the M22).
Alan noted some time back the crossover points in the M60/M80 are 200Hz and 3.4Khz.
With 2-6" woofers, do you think that the 5.25" midrange driver is at all putting out sound down in the 80Hz range?
I doubt it.
I think its frequency curve has trailed off below the 200Hz crossover and is probably done making any sound by the 150Hz level. This means you have TWO 6" drivers available to make the bass sounds from 200Hz and less and even assist the midrange as they roll off above the 200Hz crossover point.

So again, offloading the 6" drivers from doing what they were designed to do will not help the 5.25" driver to help it do its job any better.
In that case, what would be the point in even including the 2-6" drivers in the M60 in the first place?
Axiom could just tell their customers to pair it with a sub instead if they want bass and possibly increase their overall sales.
Now that would be unfair eh?

If you want to do a test of the M60 vs a sub sound, you would of course first have to get the M60.
Time to 'upgrade' maybe?

Then, take a test tone cd and try out some tones in the 200Hz to 100Hz range using JUST the subwoofer and then JUST the M60 to play the note.
The 'tightness' b/w the two units is quite distinctive and i find the M60's smaller drivers (compared to my ep350) don't linger nearly as long with the sound note. This is about as fast or accurate i could ever expect low frequency sounds to get.
Now play some low notes in the 25Hz range and compare the two speakers again. I think this time you will find that the subwoofer shines at the low rumble while the 'tight and fast' smaller M60 drivers now struggle greatly.
Larger drivers = lower bass notes but slower with higher low frequency sounds.
Smaller woofers= faster, tighter bass for higher low frequency sounds but VERY decreased volume with low frequency sounds.
After all, bass is about moving air and low frequency notes is about moving ALOT of air (remember the port chuff?). The higher on the frequency scale you go, the LESS air you need to move so i believe the 6" drivers are better at reproducing more accurate musical notes in the sound range typical of music (some instruments excepted).

#12159 06/20/03 01:47 AM
HGP Offline
old hand
old hand
Chesseroo is dead-on in his post. I originally ordered the M22s but ended up with the M60s for the reasons he describes. That being said, there are legitimate reasons some might prefer the M22s (e.g. room size and budget).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (rrlev, Kodiak), 685 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup