Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Whole House Audio Help
#132629 03/21/06 05:08 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
OK, here's the deal. My in laws are remodeling their house and want to upgrade their audio/video. They currently have a decent whole house audio set up but are working w/ their over priced (my opinion) consultant. I told them I'd do it for free, but they were afraid of my short temper relative to IT issues... Now they got a quote for $64K and have come back to me.

I find this quote ridiculous, considering the consultant is implementing things that my in laws either don't need or won't appreciate. He quoted for 2 HT setups, a kitchen setup and speakers in several rooms including outside. This even includes the use of existing equipment. The labor alone was $18K, 250 hours at $75/hour.

I'm not a multi room expert, my Pio 45TX only does 2 zones. The quote includes an Elan S6 and accompanying zone controllers. Does anyone have experience w/ these? Any other suggestions for similar equipment?

There's probably a few ways I can make this cheaper by using a Mac for iTunes and some Airport Expresses or similar concept, at least for the audio portion. I'm planning on setting them up to prepare for Series 3 Tivo w/ Cablecard, even though the consultant recommended HD Tivo, against my recommendation. I'm open to thoughts/questions/suggestions. Wiring is easy because the walls aren't up yet. At the least, I was thinking of running as much RG6 as possible to a central panelj so I could distribute most of the audio/video that way.

Re: Whole House Audio Help
#132630 03/21/06 05:46 PM
old hand
old hand
I would recommend Russound ABus products for phone house audio.

Basically, you put in a four input/zone controller in where you audio equipement is, and run single CAT5 to the zones where you want the volume/source controls and speakers.
A four zone system costs in the neighbourhood of a grand (without speakers).

BarilkoBart

#132631 03/21/06 09:08 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Fascinating topic - I would deeply appreciate ongoing updates on the project.

This Sonos system got rave reviews.

I'm easily seduced by the notion of home-run wiring using that structured cable (Cat 5e, a couple RG6, other copper du jour in one jacket). I'd probably be running that stuff from a central point to everyplace I thought there could ever be a source, display or controller. Didn't BrotherBob use some of that?

Are you going to steer them to some W22's or W3's?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#132632 03/21/06 09:13 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Wow…..that’s quite an estimate. The most labor intensive part is running the cables/wiring. Hell, I ran all that in my home for a whole home audio system in one day – by myself. And I have a 4700 sq ft log home. I ran a Cat 5 cable, two RG-6 cables, and speaker wires to four zones from a central location in my office that was going to serve as the ‘hub’ for all the gear. In that same day, I also ran two RG-6 cables and a twisted 8 pair phone cable to five bedrooms, the office, the living room, spa room, two loft dormers……..you get the point. It doesn’t take long at all.

When you throw in a couple HT set ups into the mix to integrate the whole home and HT’s, it definitely complicates things, but not THAT much. You’re in-laws will have to decide if they want to integrate the HT areas into the mix. I’d keep them separate from the whole home system with the exception of A bus connectivity and that will only be one more home run Cat 5 cable from each location to your ‘hub’.

After listening to several in-wall / in-ceiling speakers, I ditched the whole idea. They’re OK for background music, but just can’t compete with towers. But, the wiring is there if I change my mind some day.

There are several multi zone amps / processors on the market for these systems. I was going to go with Kustom brand six zone / four source unit. This one would play four different sources at six different locations simultaneously. At that time, it was going for $1500. Then you have the control pads for each zone, which run about $100 and fit in a single gang box. After that, you just run whatever source you want to the distribution unit. Nothing too complicated about it. Any idiot can terminate these devises too! They come with a punch down tool and all the terminals are color coded. Piece of cake.

Make sure you run the cables AFTER the electrical is ran. You need to keep your cabling about 24” away from electrical wiring on parallel runs. It’s OK to cross them as long as you keep them a few inches apart.

There’s plenty of info here for you to read through to give you some ideas. http://www.smarthome.com/prodindex.asp?catid=945

#132633 03/21/06 09:41 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Is this a question of how well you get along with the in-laws (in my case "out"laws).

Your wish to do the job for free may be a problem because they might feel themselves imposing on you.

Is this something that requires daily work over a short period or can be done over time.

You could go to them with a plan that for XX dollars including your labor, "I can do such and such". This might ease the imposition problem. Lay out a plan with equipment and see what they say.

If this is something that if you screw up, you'll never live it down, then make your recommendations on the submitted plan and walk away from it.

#132634 03/21/06 11:05 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Ah, I like that. CAT5 is easier to deal w/ that a boatload of RG5.

#132635 03/22/06 03:48 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Good idea on the Sonos. I blew it off for my own use because of cost, but it might make setup for the in laws easier.

Actually, I get along great w/ my in laws. I was good friends w/ my mother in law before I met my wife. We get along better than my own parents. No issues w/ bad blood. They take care of us and we do the same for them.

#132636 03/22/06 05:03 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Yeah, the Sonos is a little expensive, but the setup and - more importantly - the user interface looks like Butter. If I was setting up something for my mother in law, I'd want to make sure she found the experience joyful. User interface has got to be Job One.

It's a great blessing to have cool inlaws. I'm lucky that way, too.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,034 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup