Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Just thought I'd start a new thread.
#132753 03/22/06 12:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ah yes; tinitus. Bummer.

Got it too, but thankfully mine is also chemically induced....

....by my heart medication!

(been living with congestive heart failure for the last few years)

When I want to do any critical listening: a new CD or long awaited DVD; then I just cut the meds for a few days til the ringing clears up.

Glad that you guys problems are just as easily controllable!

Caffene isn't much of a prob since the doc insisted no more coffee.

Still drink coffee however, just that half caffene stuff...ugh.

But I also have a similar listening affliction as you; Oz....I just can't listen and do ANYTHING else at the same time. Put a nice sound system in one of my cars a few years back, but found my driving habits followed the tempo and tone of the music.

That can be bad.

And...

When I turn the tunes in, I tend to tune the Wife out.

That can be worse!

...oh,...and the new cans are FAB! Grados' RULE!!

Last edited by F107plus5; 03/22/06 12:10 PM.
#132754 03/22/06 02:23 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Well, I am on the verge of being re-born for HT. We moved to what will be our retirement home last June. In downsizing, we ended up with everything on one floor. The great room is terrific, but the open floor plan doesn't lend itself to placement of 5 speakers and a sub.

Since the first weekend in January, a friend and I have been working to finish a basement room that is 20' x 28'. This weekend we will hang 3 doors, finish the small remaining pice of the ceiling, put the molding on the walls and finish hooking up the electric. The carpeting comes Tuesday morning.

First order of business on Tuesday afternoon will be to bring the TV stand and 50" LCD from their spare bedroom location and pull the boxed up speakers from the other side of the bedromm and - FINALLY- hook it all up. This will be followed by many hours of catching up with my music and watching the DVDs I have been stockpiling to watch on the full system.

I'll make do until the new furniture arrives at the end of April, but having the system back in place will be a slice of pure heaven.

#132755 03/22/06 03:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Now, if I were finally setting up my equipment, which had been sitting idle for 9 months, I'd get everything hooked up, push the "on" button, and get.........................................................................nothing.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#132756 03/22/06 03:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Argh, tinnitus, I've been having the condition at least 15 years now. I've got it playing keyboards in a rock band, I used to stand close to the drummer . Also, it may have being the fact that I used mainly headphones to play keyboards at home.

I agree, caffeine and salty food (for me) makes it worse.
I don't want to bum anyone; it may be worth mentioning this here: depression makes tinnitus terribly worse, seek help if anyone thinks they may have both.

~Jaime

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
#132757 03/22/06 07:13 PM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
That's interesting I never heard the link between depression and tinnitus.

Be careful Ajax your little emoticon's have been crying a lot lately!
oz

"Life is what happens while your busy making other plans" John Lennon
#132758 03/22/06 07:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome back to the world of music OZ! You have great taste! Stromberg Carlson made some spectacular SET tube amps and I think the Axiom M3s are the best Axiom speaker for tubies. SETs are sweet at any volume, but playing music at low volume is a tough test for an amp, a test that most solid state amps cannot pass.

My dad is going to ship our old Harman Kardon Citation II tube amp to me here in California. I'll modify it and it will end up in my main 2 channel system. I have had my eye on some Stromberg Carlsons over the years, just never had the chance to grab a minty example. The S/Cs are some of the best tube amps ever made. Sh*t. Now their bid prices will go through the roof on ebay, and I haven't gotten mine yet.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#132759 03/22/06 08:09 PM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks!
You are right about the M3's sounding great with tubes. Believe it or not I hooked the 60's up to the SC also and it was pretty nice. Amazing that with 7 watts per channel I was able to drive the 60's to volumes that had my wife yelling at me. I love when she yells.
It sounded very good indeed. But I liked the slightly "rounder" sound of the 3's. It made me really wonder how a nice set amp would sound with a pair of 50's. I think I would like that a lot.
SC did make some nice set amps and those can get pricey on EBAY. Mine however is a beautifully restored Stereo 24 push pull. When I first got it it was absolutely silent. It has now developed a slight hum. I find I can control it by turning up the individual gains and keeping the master gain around 50%.
Not sure if I'll get it fixed or not. I just spent 200.00 to get my Vintage AR SS amp fixed. I know, I know even the repair guy told me not to bother but they sell on EBAY for 300. to very recently 450.00. So I figure I'm not out anything should I decide to sell it later. I just have always loved the way that thing sounds. I also have an immediate buyer if I ever decide to get rid of the SC. I won't do that until I can get something else. I'm looking at Tube Audio Designs 150 and their Pre Amp to go with it. Of course I'll probably change many times before I have the money for this. The guy I took my AR to also makes his own tube amps and they look and sound very nice. A bit more money than the TAD-150 though.

I was considering the HK Citation II but I thought I read you cannot get the parts and they are a bear to restore. I think the current issue of TAS has an article on it. However they don't mention the difficulty in restoring or modifying it. I read that on the web somewhere. Good luck with yours and be sure to post your impressions if and when you get it all modified.
oz

#132760 03/22/06 08:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I had a pair of M50s, tried them with my SET tubie. Not a good match. Dunno why. The M3s truly shine with a good SET tubie.

On the other hand, I have a pair of Michaura M66s (same 2x6.5" drivers, 3/4" titanium tweeter, but with hex shaped antistanding wave cabinet) and these guys are the best speakers I've ever heard with my 5wpc SET. I also tried a pair of M22s, but was disappointed. On the other hand, the M22 like Michaura M55s (2x5.25" axiom aluminum drivers and the 3/4" ti tweet) are spectacular with the SET amp.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 03/22/06 08:47 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#132761 03/22/06 09:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
It's not that depression causes tinnitus, it just makes you more aware of it...
I've learned to live w/ it, for me its really bothersome when I'm in a really quite place, drive me nuts. I’ve read that ‘white noise’ helps mask tinnitus, I sleep with an really noisy air purifier. Kinda funny when I bought it, I told the salesperson, "what's the noisiest air purifier you have?"

~JAime

Last edited by JaimeG; 03/22/06 09:03 PM.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
#132762 03/23/06 01:00 AM
oz350z Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In reply to:

when I'm in a really quite place, drive me nuts

Jaime
I know exactly what you mean! Michael's sig says silence is silver, but to some of us it can be deafening. I need to stop contributing to the cause. Time to go cold turkey on the caffein!
oz

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617
Most Online2,082