Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS DEBATE QUESTION
#138706 05/18/06 09:57 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Actually " Ol Hickory" was Andrew Jackson's nickname not Roosevelt.

I stand corrected...

Bren R.

#138707 05/18/06 10:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There is only one part of that quote that I could agree with
"he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin."
Sadly in certain parts of this country and other countries, that is not always the rule but more of an exception.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
#138708 05/19/06 02:03 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think the extremists in our country (USA) get far too much face time when the reality is most folks are really quite moderate. Granted all those moderate people are going to lean a bit "right" or "left" but neither one is really anywhere near the stereo typical folk you see on TV spouting off their garbage.

To make matters worse its an election year so EVERYTHING has to be some damn specticle of life or death.

This immigration issue really seems pretty simple. We have one side that wants a giant wall and to send 12million folks home. The other wants to allow everyone to come in and let those alreay here stay.

Ever heard of a compromise? Build the wall and allow those already here to stay. Ya nobody gets exactly what they want but the other option is to have nothing happen, and nobody seems to want that.

#138709 05/19/06 02:27 AM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
Nick,

With all due respect to you and anyone else of the conservative ilk, I have to say that I believe the administrations vow to send the national guard to the border is a knee jerk reaction probably being driven to improve some weak poll numbers. I feel you have to deal with the causes, which I see as the people who employ these people and the Mexican government itself. I say that anyone who employs illegal immigrants needs jailtime and some heavy fines. If the residents of Mexico were making a living wage in their home country, they wouldn't be leaving their homes to make $3/hr in this country. If the Mexican government won't deal with this willingly, maybe a mass boycott of Mexican products would do the trick. I say this after watching the GF purchase a Mexican vacuum cleaner. I won't say it didn't bother me, though, because it did. I think we, as Americans, find ourselves in sort of a vicious circle. On one hand, we want to purchase products which are values, but in the back of our minds we realize that the workers that allow our purchasing power to expand are being exploited.

#138710 05/19/06 04:13 AM
axiomite
axiomite
geez, I get slammed by BrenR, whom I've never had a dispute with and always have openly welcomed any and all comments, then LittleB who, just because I stated a political association, shoots off in some direction stating this and that which I never even referenced in my original post. LittleB, I never said anything but I want a safe border and the $50 an hour quote. I agree that sending troops will not solve the problem, never made any remote statement that it would, but it is a start of something, and Status Quo will just keep festering the problem. Then you mention that the Republicans are doing it to gain votes, yet the "other" party (again, my apologies to Democrats here) leaders are doing everything that they can to avoid any conflict. Hillary Clinton states one day that we need to stop illegal immigration and "punish" those illegal immigrants that are here, then the very next day, in front of a group with large Mexican immigrant numbers, says that she wants to grant them all citizenship. Flip, flop... Sounds like Kerry. Just make a stand on something, right or wrong, I think that the ENTIRE political system in the US could get headed in the right direction if the politicians would quit playing politics, and get back to focusing on what is good for this country. Democrats make mistakes, Republicans make mistakes, even Green Party folks make mistakes, I just wish that we all (including myself) would just get back to supporting our government that is in power and help to eliminate the political BS that we all deal with. The US can not take it much longer.

I have some very strong viewpoints on what needs to happen with the US, politics, and the people living here, but I think that I need to jump out of this thread and stay clear. I just hate to see all of us, who have come here for our love of audio, get torn because of political or legal viewpoints. Just remember that I still think highly of all of you, but again, I'm stepping back before I (a very calm guy) gets pissed off or pisses someone else off more than has already been done.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
#138711 05/19/06 04:37 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Nah, Nick, you weren't slammed... promise!

I didn't refer to you by any name of a body part covered by one's bathing suit.

I do always wonder why these threads get started (no finger point, LT61, promise!)... we've seen in the past that they create tension and animosity, I know when one of these is clanking around, I have to decide whether or not I'm in a frame of mind to read and respond.

We've lost good forum members to these debates-turned-arguments (one of note for me is BigWill... I liked the guy, we were just diametrically opposed on our views and values).

Bren R.

#138712 05/19/06 04:48 AM
buff
buff
Why not make Mexico a State - solves the problem.

Yamaha RXV 1500, Yamaha DVDS550T M60,VP150,QS8,EP350 "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS"
#138713 05/19/06 04:51 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Keep rotating upwards, Mexico becomes the 51st state, then the US becomes the 4th Canadian territory.

Bren R.

#138714 05/19/06 05:03 AM
buff
buff
Not really fair for Canadians to comment on this problem, as we do not have it to the same extent. I favor immigration, but for those who apply to come and have something to contribute. We all come from immigrant stock. I think when your social system is exhaused by illegals, your justice system overrun, then something has to be done. There is no easy answer, likely the elimination of poverty in Mexico would be a start. Final comment - Go Oilers Go

Yamaha RXV 1500, Yamaha DVDS550T M60,VP150,QS8,EP350 "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS"
#138715 05/19/06 01:24 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Bren,
I like you, your're a hoot.

First,it seems you didn't bother reading the posts. Then, you do a "drive by".........throwing abstract, negative references, against the wall, to see if anything sticks.
And, when that fails to ruin the thread, you blame the author.

The old "flame, and blame".......hmmmmm, where have I seen that tactic before?

Oh yes, and thank you for adding the "redneck" stuff.....your rants are now complete!

your friend,

Larry

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479