Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Funny or offensive?
#138988 05/24/06 05:04 PM
shareholder in the making
You know, I usually avoid political or religious threads, but I have to post here.

Bren-People who put their lives on the line are most certainly different from people who use clipboards. They deserve our respect, even if we don't agree with their politics or even moral views.

Mike-I'm sorry to see you go. While I've disagreed with you in the past, I generally find your posts interesting, and I really like your house. I appreciate your explanation in the above post about the misuse of words; it makes me a little less pissed off about your first and subsequent posts in this thread. And I wholeheartedly agree with you about political and religious threads on these boards.

I must take issue with the implied idea (could be wrong here) that people shouldn't have friends on online forums, or that friends should not support each other or cover each other's backs. If there are people who make inside jokes here, so be it. We're friends, they're friends, whatever. As I see it, this shouldn't be an anesceptic place where we all pretend that we don't care one whit about one another. And yeah, the jokes can get nasty sometimes. That's the risks people take by being social animals. Yeah, people get pissed off sometimes. See above.

What I find often gets lost (and I've posted about this before) is nuances in voice, facial expressions, hand waving. You don't get that online, so you're free to make up your own interpretations about it. I can (and do!) say nasty things to my close friends in person--but I may be smiling, or using an ironic tone of voice when I do it--they know I'm not serious! Online, in text, that doesn't come across. Sure, we can use smilies, but they're not exactly a great substitute...

At this point, I'm just rambling, so I'm going to stop now. In any case, I'm going to keep reading these boards, and keep posting in the way I do now. I'll just avoid the political threads--and I suggest anyone else with a similarly weak constitution to my own do the same.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#138989 05/24/06 05:12 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Bren-People who put their lives on the line are most certainly different from people who use clipboards. They deserve our respect, even if we don't agree with their politics or even moral views.

I'll just say that I have a more respectful baseline for, say, a certain forum member that is raising his grandchildren than for someone based on their car, job, or ability to beatbox.

You are who you are, you do what you do.

Bren R.

michael_d #138990 05/25/06 02:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Part one of a two-part post:

I was saddened to see mdrew’s post in which he signed off of the groups, so I sent him a PM. He replied and we have come to some common ground. I wanted to mention this because I was impressed with the things he said in his congenial PM. I also imagine that other posters may be curious as to how things stand with the principals of these posts. I have also exchanged PMs with others in the last few days as I have sought feedback on these two threads (this and the “Ears” one, where part two of this post is found). I shared with mdrew some of the nice things that others have said about him in their PMs to me.

Recent posts have made it clear that politics and religion are indeed topics to beware of in forums like these. I realize that I was the one that brought God into the Brokeback thread, and while some have appreciated my views, some have not. It’s, of course, bound to be that way when discussing religion/spirituality. Believe it or not, I’ve never imagined myself a preacher or pontificator, but lately these kinds of things have been sloshing around in my head and I let them out for a bit. As a relative newbie to internet chat and forums, though, I have learned my lesson as I have watched tempers flare. Luckily, though, it appears that we have handled this bump in the road, and life on the (new and improved!) forums goes on. Thanks also to those who had kind words for me in PMs and posts regarding this issue. My intention is indeed positive.

This post continues in the “Ears” thread

medic8r #138991 05/25/06 03:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Part one of a two-part post:

I was saddened to see mdrew’s post in which he signed off of the groups, so I sent him a PM. He replied and we have come to some common ground. I wanted to mention this because I was impressed with the things he said in his congenial PM. I also imagine that other posters may be curious as to how things stand with the principals of these posts. I have also exchanged PMs with others in the last few days as I have sought feedback on these two threads (this and the “Ears” one, where part two of this post is found). I shared with mdrew some of the nice things that others have said about him in their PMs to me.

[/url]…

Mike is certainly one of the few folks from around these parts whom I'd certainly welcome in my home at any time and for any length of stay. I do believe he knows this.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #138992 05/25/06 04:32 PM
I agree Rick, hope he changes his tune and stay around these parts.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 226 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup