Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: All This Fine Equipment and No Good Movies on DVD
HomeDad #143654 07/18/06 05:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I saw Worlds Fastest Indian a week or so back, very good indeed.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
samandnoah #143655 07/18/06 07:23 PM
old hand
old hand
For those interested (.....) Johnny Depp plays a major part in Chocolat. Also, the main character (the chocolate lady...) played Trinity in the Matrix. Interesting to see people in very different roles. Both actors did an excellent job, I thought.

Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion: you must set yourself on fire!
samandnoah #143656 07/19/06 12:19 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Loved Chocolat!

I have World's Fastest Indian right in front of me and will be getting to it tonight or tomorrow probably. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is also in the house.

For some reason, I can't warm up to Jody Foster. I think she's wonderfully intelligent, and a fine actress, but I just can't seem to make an emotional connection with her. I thought the casting of her as Anna in Anna And The King was a huge casting gaff. Should've been Emma Thompson, who just happens to actually be British, as was Anna.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #143657 07/19/06 04:12 AM
veteran
veteran
Just watched The Village, and I liked it. Not tons of LFE, but enough. The walk through the forest was definately 'hair-raising.' I enjoyed it...and look forward to seeing 'The Lady in the Water.' Also looking forward to watching 'Pirates of the Carrib.' part II. Looks like another one to go see in theatres.

Awating 'Ghost Ship.'

inthedeck #143658 07/19/06 12:12 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Watched End Game last night. I thought it just had to be good with Cuba Gooding Jr in it, and I reckon it was for the most part. Until the end that is. It had me guessing “who did it” the whole way. Then you find out in the end, and whole conclusion / ending sucked. I’m still pissed at it. Good sound, good all around movie…..with a crappy ending.

I know what you guys are saying about Jody Foster. I liked her in Contact and Flight Plan. Not much else. Don’t let her dissuade you from watching Flight Plan though; it really is a good movie. Especially if you have youngins and have ever “lost” one. I lost my boy for three hours when he was six. In Wal-Mart right after Thanksgiving of all places and it still gives me a gut ache thinking about it. Little fart thought it was funny seeing his parents and security officers frantically running around looking for him.

michael_d #143659 07/19/06 02:23 PM
buff
buff
Other than the obvious blockbusters I'd have to recommend "The Skeleton Key" with Kate Hudson. This one has a good twist at the end and some good surround effects.

michael_d #143660 07/19/06 02:38 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I want to build on a point Cam made earlier. I have been alternating between Netflix and Blockbuster with 3 at a time mail deliveries for a couple of years. The depth and breadth of selections with each are remarkable. I try and get movies I might not otherwise rent and also look for older classics that might not be available in a store (High Noon, Rio Bravo, etc.) The point is that this opens up a much broder array of subject matter.

I try and use Amazon to help me make selections. If you get into their DVD section and type in the name of a movie (or actor), the screen that comes up provides great info on the movie, but a little further down, they also provide 4-5 recommendations for other movies of a similar type. You can walk through quite a smorgasboard of selections you may not otherwise think of.

The other beauty of Netflix/Blockbuster is the broad selection of concert & music videos as well as TV series (I just finished the 3 seasons of the original Star Trek series). You normally don't see this selection at a B&M store.

PsychoPete #143661 07/19/06 03:39 PM
aficionado
aficionado
A surprisingly good movie I watched a few days ago is End of the Spear; quite powerful movie, especially since it’s based on true events.
~Jaime

Last edited by JaimeG; 07/19/06 03:40 PM.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
Re: All This Fine Equipment and No Good Movies on
tomtuttle #143662 07/19/06 06:10 PM
devotee
devotee
Geez, I've never had so many people agree with anything I've ever said (the "Chocolat" recommendation). I feel so validated.

2x6, you really will love "Lock, Stock, etc" if you liked "Snatch".

Tom, that picture was taken right after her birthday party, and you know why that party was such a hit -- it was the music!

VikingShips just one small correction. Carrie Ann Moss (Trinity) isn't the chocolatier. She plays a critical role as the mom of the young boy, and is estranged from her mother.

I didn't mention Johnny Depp because sometimes people construe different things when they hear that. But as I started thinking about it, he is somebody whom I really do like consistently from movie to movie. And there has been a wide range of movies! So I can definitely recommend going over to IMDB.com and perusing the movies he's done if you're looking for ideas.

On Netflix & Blockbuster. I just finished taking Blockbuster for a test spin, and am now doing the same with Netflix. Don't have any firm opinions yet on which one is "better", but I can definitely agree with whomever said they provide great depth and breadth of movies.

My wife is younger than I am, so I've been using these services as a way to queue up a bunch of classic movies that I got to experience in my youth, as well as a bunch of movies from the heyday of US Filmmaking, primarily in the late '60s through the '70s. My wife doesn't think of herself as much of a moviegoer, but the reality is that she's loving this experience, and doing it in the comfort of your own home (theater) has all of advantages/virtues we've extolled here so often.

Anyhow, enjoy.

Rich
PS I didn't find Jodie Foster all that more engaging in person than some of you do in movies. I still think she peaked with "Bad News Bears" and "Taxi Driver"! That was a looooong time ago.

Ray3 #143663 07/19/06 07:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey Ray. If you haven't already discovered it, the Internet Movie Database is a GREAT resource for info on movies. You'll find nothing about prices, etc., but you'll find a wealth of knowledge regarding the films themselves, and the actors in them. You'll even find info on movies that are merely in the development stage.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup