Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: And so it begins
ElTorrente #145020 08/10/06 09:02 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Cool, I'm going for the yamaha 2500-I found a new one-hopefully I choose the right e-tailer.

DrunkenWolf #145021 08/12/06 05:00 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, I chose the wrong e-tailer. They had a good rating on all the multiple listing sites-but when you read the actual feedback comments it becomes very clear that the positive feedback is a bunch of bull. Just about every negative comment indicated that items sold as new were opened, often with a different product inside-sometimes with a different TYPE of product inside. I got lucky and cancelled my order in time. After this and the busted H/K which I'm stilling waiting on the RMA for I'm no longer interested in dealing with trying to find a bargain on a product that is a couple years old. I'm back to the outlaw. I have two options that I'm considering:
1. Get the 1070 and save for two monoblocks. Down the road replace the monoblocks with a multi channel separate and then further down the road replace the 1070 with a dedicated pre pro. Short term this is a cheaper option and I can definately afford it. Long term I'll probably be ending up spending more money-but I might be able to get cooler equipment going down this path.
2. Get the 990/7125. It will be a long time before I would plan to change anything in this setup-the 990 would be the obvious first thing to be replaced-but I've had my current av receiver for 5 or 6 years and I rarely think 'gosh, I need a new one'. Long term this is probably going to cost less, but short term this is a big initial investment.

Regardless I'll be getting the epic 80/500 still.

Oh, and the buyer for my current place fell through. I don't have a date for moving again I really want to get the speakers now, but it seems to me a foolish move to ship them just to move them-and it isn't like I'll be able to enjoy this setup in a condo.

DrunkenWolf #145022 08/12/06 05:24 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
DW, it would be useful to name the seller as a possible caution to others.

Regardless of that, the idea of the Yamaha 2500(or 2600) for your M80s was excellent and still something that you could consider.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #145023 08/12/06 05:32 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
butterflyphoto.com was the seller.

If I saw the yamaha at one of the big places I'd consider it-but my long term plan is to go to separates. To be honest by going with companies like Axiom and Outlaw I also get the benefit of supporting companies that choose a business model that forces them to produce products that they are passionate about.

That said, if you know someone that wants to part with a 2500 for 500-600 bucks you let me know

damn, I found a new one on ebay from a guy with 10k good feedback.

damn decisions.

Last edited by DrunkenWolf; 08/12/06 05:43 AM.
DrunkenWolf #145024 08/12/06 07:28 AM
E
buff
buff
E
I've bought a lot of things from E-bay, and have had good experiences. Just stick to highly rated sellers and read the comments and stuff, and you can get some really great deals.

I think the rule of thumb for discount merchants online, is to avoid stores that have one the word "camera" in their name, and are based in Brooklyn, NY. You'll find that their websites are all the same and they are like one big company. That being said, before I knew to be wary around these places, I bought my RX-v2400 brand new from one of these places and got an excellent deal and it was delivered ontime as promised. I didn't know about the bad rep of those places until afterward.

There are some great retailers out there though that are highly rated and have great reputations (Vanns.com is one of them).

I would recommend you look around before pulling the trigger. You'll end up with something nice- whether it's a Yamaha or other brand, there's always great deals out there.

ElTorrente #145025 08/12/06 07:45 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I've bought a ton of stuff online in the past and nothing has been like this. Anyway I did finally settle on an account on ebay with 99.7 postitive-and the neg rep was generally minor stuff, like people not living in the shipping area. I went through a dozen ebay stores before I found the one I settled on, and yes, there are a lot of them in new york, aren't there? What the hell? Almost bought one from LA-they had good feedback and the negatives were kinda silly, but they put too much 419 scam language in their listing. "The lord bless your family, it is written ye shall save' wha????

Oh well, I'm sure the Yamaha is a great unit, and I'll save up for a separate amp over the next year or two-once the wife forgets that I've done this.

DrunkenWolf #145026 08/22/06 04:38 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well I got the yammie today. Took the HK to the shop. HK was really slow at returning my e-mails so I figured I'd just get it fixed and keep the unit I prefer-and give the other away as a gift. I move next week, and I'm going to have to wait to get the Axioms until I sell my current home (paying three mortgages doesn't allow for droping big bucks on speakers). It was supposed to be sold already but the buyer backed out. Sigh...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters