Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Headphone Amp vs Reciever Help, and Headphone
Wid #147221 09/11/06 02:50 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
K81s huh? Heard folks talkin' about them, Rick. Gotta run over to the other side and see what they're all about!!

On their way huh? Cool!

Mine haven't shipped yet. Alessandro still hasen't ask my bank for the bucks. No surprize, Goeorge and Tracy are probably out of town doin' a gig and there's no one watchin' the shop! Maybe ship tomorrow; maybe next week!

They WERE ordered Friday morning; just when I thought thay were!!

Ok....went and took a look at the K81s. Cute cans. Where do they fit in your inventory? It looks as though they overlap with some you have already!

Neat though! Gonna add to the fun for sure!

Now if they don't clamp too tight!
Rich.

F107plus5 #147222 09/11/06 10:33 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I have read they put a pretty hard clamp on the ol noodle. We'll see hopefully this week.

Quote:

Where do they fit in your inventory? It looks as though they overlap with some you have already!

I figured they will be my cold weather ( ear muffs ) portable hp's.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #147223 09/11/06 12:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Of Course! Earmuffs!!

We've been living in Florida too long! If we were still living in Michigan I would have thought of that one straight away!

Yeah I used to wear.....uh, actually, no I didn't.....but if I would have thought of it!!

.......I can picture it now.....here's Rich riding his motorcycle to work listening to music on headphones with his Teac 7010 reel to reel strapped to his back....and a really long extension cord.

Now I know why I never thought of it!

Earmuffs; Yeah!!
Rich.

Ken.C #147224 09/11/06 10:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I've got a pair of the 81s, too. A little bass heavy, but really nice overall, especially given the price. Definitely great for rock music though - the bass, despite being a bit too much, is actually quite detailed so it doesn't come across as boomy. I actually haven't listened to my HD580s since buying them.

I picked up this tip on headfi for an easy and effective mod - the felt discs that cover the drivers can be removed (there is another piece of fabric beneath that). It brings out the treble and midrange a bit more and helps even out the bass some. Simple and easily reversible!

As for your choice, Dan, I think you made the right one given your music preferences. I have the HD580 and it is quite power hungry, and I can definitely tell the difference in SQ between my heaphone amp (Gilmore Dynamic v2) and the headphone jack on my receiver. It also has a pretty laid back presentation (where some headphones/speakers might be described as giving you a front row or on-the-stage presentation, the 580s sound like you're a few rows back in the audience), so it isn't the best choice if you want to rock out. That said, they have a huge and very precise soundstage, are very well balanced, are extremely detailed without being harsh they're very comfortable, so I can wear them for hours on end without any fatigue. But if you listen to rock and want a phone with a similar sound to the M22, then the 580 ain't it. I think mine makes a good counterpoint to the Axiom sound, though.

AdamP88 #147225 09/11/06 11:01 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
OK, I'll bite. How do you remove the discs?

BTW, I should be clear that the cans I tested the amp with were HD570s, which I think are a little more forgiving than 580s. Not sure.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #147226 09/11/06 11:53 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Just pinch them with your fingers and pull. They pop right out.

And to be fair, my amp is quite different from yours - in terms of layout and power. But you're right about the 570s - they're quite a bit more efficient than the 580s.

AdamP88 #147227 09/12/06 12:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If your going to be using these at 2am with room mates you might want to limit your choices to a closed headphone. I own both the Grado 125's and Sennheiser HD280's and power both of them with Grado RA-1 amps, Sound wise they both have their strenghts. The grados sound the best, no doubt but comfort is an issue. After a couple hours i simply cannot wear them anymore. The sennheisers do sound somewhat nasal and boxed in compared to the grado's, however its not as easy to recognize unless your doing straight a/b comparisons. The sennheisers are alot more comfortable and offer significant noise reduction due to the closed design where the grado's offer none.

Overall for headphones Im not necessaraly looking for the best sound, because there are other factors that need to be considered so in this case i would vote for the Sennheisers. The grado's DO sound better but theyre not as comfortable, theyre more expensive, and they dont offer any isolation. If I want ultimate sound quality i'll turn on my stereo, The headphones arent meant to be an alternative, or replacement. Only a different way of listening when I cant turn the stereo on.

You can get the Sennheiser HD280's for around $75 from amazon, which is the cheapest ive found.

Last edited by Haoleb; 09/12/06 12:31 AM.
Haoleb #147228 09/12/06 12:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I may be one of the lucky ones that can wear Grados' for over ten hours straight without problem!! I have fairly small ears and find Sennheiser HD414 pads quarter modded and reversed fit me to a T. My ears just snuggle right on in there and get right at home. If you still have the bowls on your SR-125s, you may want to look into a bit of pad rolling. The results vary from individual to individual for comfort, and the performance varies as well depending on the type of system being used, but some folks report having good luck.

....uh, that would be ME!
Rich.

F107plus5 #147229 09/12/06 01:20 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I find the Grado bowls and comfy pads pretty comfortable. I like the bowls even more than the pads, I think I'm going to put bowls on my SR 60's too.

I've tried a few different Senn models and imo the Grado sound is much more like the sound I get from my Axioms.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #147230 09/12/06 03:22 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Wow.

I can't put grado's on for more than 10 minutes without ripping them off. Hehe. :-)

In the long run, the open headphones will do fine. The leakage out of the open headphones isn't going to be loud enough to bother my roomate. Mostly, others around the dorm. And I'd like to get some of the best sound possible, and the Senn 595's seem to do that very well, especially for their price, wow.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup