Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
EP600 vertical or horizontal config questions..
#149600 10/18/06 03:03 AM
P
regular
OP Offline
regular
P
Hello Everyone,

After months of research and recently just bought a 50" Sony RPTV. I am ready to plunge into getting an HT package from Axiom. I have the budget for M60*EP500, M80*EP500, or M60*EP600. For the three 3 configs mentioned I preferred the M60*EP600 to mate with the Denon4306 AV that I will be ordering. I have a family room that's approximately 4500 cubic feet that will be housing any one of the config.

My questions on the EP600 is that if I order it in "vertical" config, can I still use it horizontally? I know nothing will stop me from laying it down horizontally, but if I decided to placed it in the reverse orientation from what I order will it cause problem for me? I've read Alan Lofft's article "excavating deep bass" on EP500 and 600, but it doesn't explain about that flexibility in placement. It was a great article and no pundit intended Alan. You're probably wondering why go with the EP600 when EP500 is fine for that room size, it because (1)madam Boss authorized the purchase and it's probably my last purchase on speakers for awhile and (2) I like to listen to house, trance, techno, and every electronica bass produced music ever made by mankind.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Cheers,
-Tony

Re: EP600 vertical or horizontal config questions.
phoenixrae #149601 10/18/06 04:00 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
As far as I know, the differences between the horizontal and vertical configurations of the EP600 are:

A. The placement of the logo on the grill
B. The location of the pre-drilled feet holes
C. The orientation of the amplifier

There's no reason you can't lay a vertically-configured EP600 on its side or stand a horizontally-configured EP500 on end, but naturally, they will look best in their as-configured orientations.

Re: EP600 vertical or horizontal config questions..
phoenixrae #149602 10/18/06 03:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi phoenixrae,

Glad you liked the article. I should go back and update it where required. Pmbuko nicely covered the cosmetic/practical issues of vertical or horizontal placement of the EP600.

As to the effectiveness of vertical vs. horizontal placement of the EP600, in theory it shouldn't make any significant difference in pressurizing the room. That said, no room is identical and you may find you hear a difference with vertical vs. horizontal placement.

As to your proposed selection, I'd kinda like you to choose the M80s over the M60s, mainly because your room is really large and the M80s are just a teensy-weensy bit smoother through the midrange than the M60s, especially on vocals. We are talking tiny nuances that are only audible on immediate double-blind A/B comparisons, but since I just spent a week doing those at the Axiom plant, I can tell you that with confidence. The M80's dynamic capabilities at loud playback levels will also better match those of the EP600.

Either way, you're going to a have a dynamite system.

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
phoenixrae #149603 10/18/06 03:49 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Welcome phoenixrae!

You could order the 80s and 500 now and add a second 500 later. With the 500 you get 97-98% of deep bass. With the second 500 you get more room placement options.

I have the 80s in a small room and love them!

bugbitten #149604 10/18/06 03:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
bugbitten,

Good suggestion! Likewise, if I had to choose for phoenixrae (if budget is a factor), I'd go for the M80s and EP500, with the option of adding a second subwoofer later on if the room needs it for better distribution and greater impact.

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #149605 10/18/06 07:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Got to agree with Alan and Bugbitten. Two 500s would be a killer combination with that size room and buy you smoother FR in more seating positions. If you can only swing for one sub I would opt for the EP600 for 3db more output and 3db more extension.

John
jakeman #149606 10/18/06 07:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
...and add another 600 in the future!

BTW, Our 600 is vertical and one day while messing around I did place it on the side and couldn't tell a difference sonically but it sure did take up a lot of floor space, I thought.

Rick
Our Room

smile
alan #149607 10/18/06 08:06 PM
P
regular
OP Offline
regular
P
Thank you all for your comments. I was aiming also at M80*500, but through countless expert reviews it kept on mentioning that placement for 80s was a little difficult and that's why I leaned toward 60s. Although my room is big, it is oddly shaped and the side of room that I plan on placing it only have 15' of space, which would only allow for about 8-9' spacing between the 80s and my listening positioning is 16' away. I'm gonna try to diagram the room here. The Big Boss would not let me place it on the windows side, so that I can listen to my music while drinking at the bar, so I'm condemmed to only one side. Also, I don't think the Boss is going to allow me to purchase another sub, since we're having another kid born sometime in March or April 07. She want me to get whatever I need in one purchase ($3500 limit), so I gotta make it right the first time without having the feeling that I may need more bass. So based on the following generalized diagram, what would be best suited for my needs 60*500, 80*500, or 60*600? The asterisks are usable space.

|||||||||||||TV side
|||||||||||||******************* fireplace
|||||||||||||***s*********************
|||||||||||||***o*********************windows
|||||||||||||***f*********************
|||||||||||||***a*********************
|**wet bar***********sofa********

alan #149608 10/18/06 08:54 PM
P
regular
OP Offline
regular
P
You know come to think of it, the 80*500 does sound more enticing to me, since every time I look at Axiom speakers my thoughts alway center around that speakers. Anyway, I got until the first week of this coming November to make up my mind. The only thing that bug me about the 80s is that I know eventually I have to buy some mono amps (Outlaw 2200) to get that optimization that I wanted or for better handling of it. That's the part the Boss will never know about, but I'll buy it through my allowance saving. After being a newly wed for a year, just bought a house, a car for the wife and had a one 11 months daughter(phoenixrae), I get a monthly allowance from the wife who does not work. But I'm glad she's wearing the pants on the financial aspect, if it's was up to me we would be broke. I think when the ordering day come I will most likely get 80*500 and one day I'll get out of my skirt and tell the Boss another sub is required. Wow how life changed a young man who used to have so much freedom with his money.

Thanks again guys for all your suggestions. I really appreciated it as I am going crazy trying to make up my mind on this for 6 months now. At one point the Boss almost put a stop on this, since she said I was putting too much effort into it and not paying attention to her and the kid. I am so guilty of doing this at work everyday, but lucky I controlled the firewall and all the servers here. There will be no evidence of axiomaudio.com on my servers log here. hehehe..

jakeman #149609 10/18/06 09:54 PM
P
regular
OP Offline
regular
P
Hi JakeMan,

Wow! man can you still hear people when they are talking to you after owning a pair of 500s & 600s? I stumble upon your old threads contribution on High Excursion driver at AVSforum last night when I was querying the net on EP600 and spend about 1.5 hours reading it. I got to admit I know nothing about sounds, but when I read your threads it opened up my understanding. Also, I really like your composure and demeanors against those that are attacking you with their HSU HO and eating up your red T-Rex for BBQ. Good job!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters