Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Requesting your help: cheaper sources for Flash?
#150506 10/31/06 07:31 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I thought I'd ask this great collective body of wisdom. You guys seem to know something about everything. Or at least bluff your way through!

I have a 14 year old son who took a beginner's class in Flash. He loved it. He's always been very creative, loved to draw, and has a great (skewed!) sense of humor. So animation seemed a natural next step. His final project was awesome and hysterical. He was able to download a free trial version for 30 days, but that has now expired.

My son also has a history of picking up hobbies and discarding them like used tissues. So I am not about to foot this bill. I've told him he can use his savings to buy Flash.

Here's the rub. The price on Flash 8.0 is $699. I am not kidding. There is an "education" version that I think is legit for $299, with the only restriction being that it can't be used for commercial purposes. Not an issue here, but I'm still not 100% sure the source is legit.

And while I work for a tech company, we do not have any special employee purchase deals with Adobe/Macromedia.

Alternatively, there are some much cheaper flash editors (Koolmoves, Swish, etc) that allow some flash creations, but without nearly the same features (as far as I can tell). But they sure are less expensive, and my son may opt to buy one of these if he can't stomach the cost of Macromedia Flash.

So, a couple of questions for the group:

- Any suggestions/info on cheaper (legit) sources for Flash? Maybe older, downrev versions?

- Any first hand knowledge, thoughts, or impressions of the Flash-wannabe alternatives, and how they stack up?

I really do want my son to be responsible for buying this software, but I'd like to avoid bankrupting him. I know that he learned a lot (and felt great pride) when he earned enough to buy his own iPod. He's got about $200 saved up, and that seems to feel about the right range for this.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Take care,
Rich

Re: Requesting your help: cheaper sources for Flas
samandnoah #150507 11/01/06 03:26 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Have you tried looking for used version? You can often find older versions of software for dirt cheap at swap meets, flea markets, computer shows, etc.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044