Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Going crazy with vsx-74txvi
chesseroo #152426 11/30/06 02:02 AM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

fireforge, i cannot say what connections you have on the back of your cable box, but check to see that the 'hdmi' to the tv is not coming out of the cable box as a 'dvi' format.
Our newly acquired HD sat box has a dvi out BUT the setup included a dvi to hdmi connector for the output to the tv. That's fine for the video, but dvi does not carry audio. Even the setup guy overlooked this when he was here. Had us puzzled as to why we had video but no sound with the 'hdmi' connection.

I think you are right - I have a Motorola box as well and the connection is DVI, not HDMI. That is probably the reason why there is no sound.

Re: Going crazy with vsx-74txvi
fireforge #152427 11/30/06 02:46 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Sean, I did say "assuming that you have the correct HDMI connectionS". As Ken pointed out, your clarification on your connections establishes that you don't; you have no HDMI(or even DVI)connection from your cable box at all. Although the audio carried by the optical cable is digital, as is the video which a HDMI cable carries, that doesn't mean that that the digital audio can simply be added to the digital video and both be carried by HDMI. The formats are different and the digital audio would have to be transcoded into a form which could use HDMI. I recall there are a couple separate units to do this, but don't know that any receiver does. So, unless your cable box has an HDMI output(and chess and Royce indicate that it may not; DVI doesn't carry audio), you won't get sound on the HDMI input on your TV. You'd have to use one of the other inputs for sound.

What may have misled you is the fact that your 74TXVi does "convert" the composite video input to a digital output that HDMI can use and a picture resulted. You may have thought that something similar applied to the audio, but it doesn't. Incidentally, if you do mean the single cable composite video rather than the three cable component video, that's the poorest of the commonly used connections. The fact that it's carried on HDMI doesn't improve its quality in any way, and it's still at the composite video level. Better would be to use a DVI/HDMI cable out of the box(if in fact it does use a DVI output)into the 74 for video. Alternatively, S-video or component connections would be better if you do have composite now.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082