Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Best place to find Denon / Yamaha on line??
JohnK #155013 01/05/07 02:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
John,

I believe that the amps used in the RX-V series are of higher quality. Although the HTR line has the same specs as the RX-V line on some models, I think the RX-V line has a higher quaity build and amps (I am only basing this on "what I have heard".

Last edited by Hutzal; 01/05/07 03:03 PM.
Hutzal #155014 01/05/07 03:58 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Thanks John.

To specify what I’m looking for…..

HDMI audio processing, not just switching. I need (want) something that will actually process the new lossless multi channel PCM audio streams off HD/DVD and Blue Ray players. All HDMI 1.1 audio supported receivers are “supposed” to be able to do this, but some just wont. My HK 745 for example is one of them that won’t. Even though HK says it will, it simply will not. Not just mine, but numerous other users have reported this and HK is denying it. I’ve given up on being their test mule as their tech support will not listen and I can’t get an HK engineer on the phone. Nuff said about that I reckon…..

I love the versatility of the HK’s audio set up. The individual channel set up, multiple X-over points, surround mode default settings, etc. Whatever I get has to have that same versatility.

One thing I’d really like to have is an OSD that will overlay onto an HD video stream (720P and higher). The HK will not and I don’t think the Denons will either. I’m not positive, but I believe the Yamaha 2700 will do this. I can not find in its manual any reference that it will not.

I have an external video processor (VP-50), so I do not need any video processing in the receiver or pre / pro. Whatever I get has to have a 1080P video bypass function. Not many will do this.

So far through my studying and reading of manuals, there are NO pre-amp / processors with the functions I’m looking for on the market with the exception of the Anthem D2 and AMV 50. Both of them also have integrated high end video processors and a hefty price tag. I’ve called NAD, Adcom, Lexicon and Rotel. None have what I need. And all of these pre/pro manufacturers all have the same thing to say about HDMI. “HDMI is still broke and we are waiting for the next version of 1.3 before we get serious about incorporating it into our equipment”…. I can’t say I blame them either.

So far, only the 2700 and the 4306 (and higher model demons) have what I’m looking for.

I’m not all that concerned with power as I plan to go with an external amp(s) as needed.

michael_d #155015 01/05/07 04:41 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Mike, it appears that you have reached the bleeding edge.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
michael_d #155016 01/05/07 05:05 PM
local
local
Yea on my denon all aspects of the OSD do not work with all resolutions. I havent completely decoded the manual yet, but the ability to quickly check the status or bump up the volume of a given channel is an overlay, and is restricted to certain resolutions and video input constraints. I have Denon 2807

Quote:

One thing I’d really like to have is an OSD that will overlay onto an HD video stream (720P and higher). The HK will not and I don’t think the Denons will either. I’m not positive, but I believe the Yamaha 2700 will do this. I can not find in its manual any reference that it will not.

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
tomtuttle #155017 01/05/07 09:10 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Quote:

Mike, it appears that you have reached the bleeding edge.

Yah, I know. It wasn't by choice that I'm looking either. I was perfectly content with my HK 7300 which had NO HDMI capabilities. My 'great plan' was to sit back and wait a year or two and then upgrade. When my 7300 committed suicide and HK sent me this 745 ‘replacement’, I was forced into this current dilemma. But seeing how I'm here now, I might as well put my money where I'll have the least amount of buyers remorse that I know I'll inevitably have no matter what I get.....

michael_d #155018 01/06/07 12:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Etronics has the 4306 for a great price http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=denavr4306b it's just that Denon won't honor the warranty because it was sold for less than MSRP. HOWEVER - Etronics has a 3 year extended warranty from MACK for $60 - still a >$500 savings and (I guess) an A-stock item as compared to Dakmart's B-stock WITH Denon warranty.
I ususly get the short end of the stick on things like this, but if the MACK warranty covers all that it says it covers, the difference will pay for a second set of QS8's. Just depends on how one looks at it.

Scott

Scott

My HT
Hutzal #155019 01/06/07 02:24 AM
shareholder in the making
Robb, everything that I've studied on this point(at least from sources that I consider to be relatively reliable)indicates that the amplification is essentially identical and that the differences are cosmetic and a relatively minor feature or two. In particular, Yamaha addresses this directly and distinctly in one of the informative FAQs here .

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #155020 01/06/07 04:54 AM
local
local
Quote:

the differences are cosmetic and a relatively minor feature or two. In particular, Yamaha addresses this directly and distinctly in one of the informative FAQs

I concur.

at one time I spent some time thinking about this.
I came to the conclusion that a company could manufacture on the same assembly line, and use different parts, possibly only ones with better tolerences, on this same line. they could even build them the same and assign the model numbers by lot according to spc quality data. There are endless possibilites i could never consider. they all have one thing in common. they all cost money.

What I dont believe could happen is for a company to build similar products, yet spend additional dollars on one subset of the products, yet not attempt to differentiate the products to the consumer. Where is the return on investment ?

Ultimately, I feel this is done to protect the high end retailer, whom the manufacturer has had a relationship with for years. It gives them a unique product, and keeps them from having to compete on price with the big box retailers. I have no doubt the high end retailer has greater expenses. For one thing he *should* have more knowledgable salespeople whom he compensates (commission) to retain their employment. I also believe that some of the same salespeople will find it necessary to provide a further differentiation of the products to keep food on the table. Not necessarily lying, for in fact the wattage is measured and quoted differently.

hth
Randy

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
michael_d #155021 01/06/07 09:35 AM

quote:

the 4306 (and higher model demons)

Demonic indeed, Mike, but it may have what you're looking for. If by "multiple X-over points" you mean different frequency points for different speaker groups, the 2700 doesn't do that either.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #155022 01/06/07 05:55 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Quote:

quote:

the 4306 (and higher model demons)

Demonic indeed, Mike, but it may have what you're looking for. If by "multiple X-over points" you mean different frequency points for different speaker groups, the 2700 doesn't do that either.

John,

Are your sure about that? I thought for sure that each channel was adjustable like the HK's. Not only that, but I was under the impression that the 2700 had a parametric EQ that could be tweaked differently for each channel. If your right, then the Yamaha's are definately off my shopping list.

I admit that I did not spend much time with the manual yet, and I tend to scan them anyway. One of those ADD traits I enjoy so much…. If you happen to be looking through the manual, can you tell me what page it is listed on for the channel adjust??? I’ve got four manuals open now on four windows and I’m bouncing back and forth between them.

I have also just added another AVR to my shopping list too! A brand I had not ever given a second look to. It’s a Marantz SR 8001. I’m speed reading its manual now. I’m pretty impressed so far…... Too impressed to believe it will do everything the manual says it will. Is Marantz a good line? I really don't know a thing about them. I always thought they were low end junk for some reason and can't even recall why I thought that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters