Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
What receiver is everyone using w/ their Axioms??
#156359 01/20/07 06:44 AM
H
HP Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
H
I ask because I am about to ourchase my Axioms. M60's, QS8'S, VP150, EP500; and I need a new receiver to power these babies.

I ask mainly because I've heard a million stories about Axiom's being too "bright", that I should find a receiver that has a more "dark", "laid back" tone.
People have told me to stay away from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo and look at Pioneer. Alan mentioned Sherwood to me also, but I don't know much about them.

I'd like to hear what you guys are using.

My budget is between $400-$600. I am really interested in the Yamaha RX-V659 which others have talked about here. I need something that will POWER the Axioms.

I can't wait to hear what you guys have to say.

Last edited by HP; 01/20/07 06:45 AM.
Re: What receiver is everyone using w/ their Axiom
HP #156360 01/20/07 06:51 AM
shareholder in the making
Well, generally around here, you won't hear the bright descriptor. You also won't hear that different receivers have different sonic characteristics. Of course, such sonic characteristics can be added, subtracted, (whatever) through tone controls, different processing, etc.

In short, get a receiver at the price point you can afford with the features you want.

Also, audition the Axioms to make sure they're what you want. Of course, we all think they're the bee's knees, but not everyone likes them. They are very accurate speakers, and will expose any issues with the source material. For example, we have lists of poorly mastered albums, because it matters with Axioms.

Me? I'm using a Harman/Kardon AVR-525 with my M80s, VP100, and QS4s. Works fine for me. But several people around here have had problems with H/Ks lately, so perhaps their QC has gone down.

As an aside, I'm sure you've seen that many Axiom owners swear by separates, or at least external amps. I'm not quite there yet, and I'm not convinced of the benefits at the volumes I listen at. Don't be scared off by this--you can always add one later.

Last edited by kcarlile; 01/20/07 06:54 AM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: What receiver is everyone using w/ their Axioms??
HP #156361 01/20/07 07:01 AM
HP, you can safely disregard all million of those stories because they have no factual basis(as to either Axioms or the receivers)and are total nonsense. Axioms are designed to produce relatively flat(as speakers go), accurate frequency response and any "brightness" comes from program material having that characteristic being reproduced accurately. This is true of receivers to an even greater extent; engineers design them(even relatively low-cost units)with audibly flat frequency response from 20-20KHz. So, there's no need to try to "match" non-existant sonic characteristics of receivers to your Axioms. Buy a receiver with the features you want at a price that fits your budget.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Ken.C #156362 01/20/07 07:06 AM
H
HP Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
H
Me? I'm using a Harman/Kardon AVR-525 with my M80s, VP100, and QS4s. Works fine for me. But several people around here have had problems with H/Ks lately, so perhaps their QC has gone down.

Thanks. Question. Why did you go with the Q4's as opposed to the Q8's? I'm curious because my room is 27" long and teh viewing area will be in teh center, so my surrounds will be on teh outside walls, which are each about 13-14 feet from teh area. I figured I'd need the Q8's? So I'm curious about your experience, as well as the VP100 as opposed to the 150.

HP #156363 01/20/07 07:09 AM
You don't really want to ask me about my mix of stuff--it's a hodgepodge, built up over the years. The M80s were a recent addition--a gift from some very nice people. The QS4s were because someone needed to sell them, the VP100 fit on top of the TV, etc.

I don't have a problem with this stuff, but I'd recommend going with the QS8s. The VP is a tougher call; the 100 is very capable.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
HP #156364 01/20/07 09:29 AM
J
J
Stick with your plan, you will love it.

I am using a Denon 1804 with my Axioms(M22's, QS8's and VP 100) and it gets loud enough for me and sounds great.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
HP #156365 01/20/07 08:24 PM
local
local
As others have said, get a unit that has the features you want at a reasonable price. If you like the Yammie and it's decently priced, I'd go with it.

Me, I was going to go with an HK cause of versatility in base management, but I found they are expensive in Canada. So I looked around a little more and found a refurb Onkyo TX702 for a great price that had everything else I was looking for (driving M22's, QS8's and vp100).

HP #156366 01/21/07 01:36 AM
aficionado
aficionado
It must be a reason you posted this in the "stereo" section of the board

See my sig. for my current stereo setup. 2 channel separates are the way to go for music listening if you really want to get the most of it. That's why many people have two systems at home (those who have a single familiy home mostly): HT and a stereo system. If you can't have two (most don't, including me) you may need to add a 2 channel amp to your HT receiver for the fronts. You will achieve something. And guys, please feel free to disagree...

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
HP #156367 01/21/07 03:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just look at the bottom of my post.

I spent a lot of time researching this gear and am quite happy with it!!!!

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
HP #156368 01/22/07 05:06 AM
B
buff
buff
B
"Bright" is subjective. One person's 'bright' is another person's 'accurate' or 'detailed'. With that said, I'd be willing to guess that if the Axioms are as accurate as everyone says (sorry, haven't has the opportunity to hear them myself, but I have no reason to doubt that this is the case), they will be quite revealing of bad source material. With the recording industry producing absolute crap recordings (over-equalized in some cases, over-compressed in others, etc.), I have no doubt that many have heard these (and other accurate speakers) speakers sound harsh and bright.

The recording will be the biggest difference, but if they are as revealing as other high-end speakers I'm familiar with, cheap electronics could potentially sound bright, as well. No one is going to hook up a pair of (using an example speaker I'm familiar with) Thiel speakers to a $300 receiver and $50 DVD or CD player. In order to get the most out of a high end set of speakers, you need a quality front end. I've heard HUGE differences between high-end receivers and high-end separates, and I'm willing to bet that there's an even bigger difference between low end receivers and entry-level separates.

I realize that everyone has a budget they need to stay within. But if you can afford the Axiom system you posted, you owe it to yourself to save up enough money to buy either a higher-end receiver or entry-level separates. Why spend well over $2K on speakers and then try to drive them on on $400-600 receiver? You will not get the most out of your high quality speakers this way, and may end up running into trouble trying to drive your speakers to reference levels. They are all 6 ohm speakers. Sure, most recievers will drive 6 ohms, but I doubt a cheap one will do so without strain at higher volumes, driving all channels at once.

I'm not trying to be downer, but you have a very nice speaker setup. Give it the quality amplification it deserves. It will be well worth the wait, in my opinion, if you need more time to save up the extra money. Save up an extra $6-700 and get the Outlaw Audio 970/7075 combo. [Yes, I am partial to separates. I freely admit this. But I'm partial because of the improved performance I've always heard from them vs. receivers.]

This is only one person's opinion, but I'm not without a clue on this subject.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters